Thread: Erik Cortina - Youtube

Erik Cortina - Youtube

I don't know if anyone else has come across this gentleman (one of the top F Class shooters in the US / smallest group ever recorded at 1000 yards ) on YouTube but a really enjoyable watch with regard to his own advanced reloading techniques and goes against quite a few of the norms like chasing the lands......have a look .......
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Quote Originally Posted by sidesy View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has come across this gentleman (one of the top F Class shooters in the US / smallest group ever recorded at 1000 yards ) on YouTube but a really enjoyable watch with regard to his own advanced reloading techniques and goes against quite a few of the norms like chasing the lands......have a look .......
    He also built Matt Carriker's s (Demolition Ranch ) Demo Ranch HQ . Texas Barndominiums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRvz6JgPFY

I remember seeing his video about neck sizing a while back.

https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

Caused a bit of a stir

He clearly knows his stuff, but not a great communicator.

he uses a carbon cleaner called CLR i believe then alcohol then patch out.
    i use an american carbon remover called seafoam which you can buy off the auction site then i use brake cleaner then patch out.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    I remember seeing his video about neck sizing a while back.

https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

Caused a bit of a stir

He clearly knows his stuff, but not a great communicator.
    Watched the video you linked - did not know there was a different way to 'size' your brass?? BTW the Wilson FL bushing sizers a pretty good.

[QUOTE=BTW the Wilson FL bushing sizers a pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Thibben,

Which chambering are you using them for? I'm using Forster, Redding and Whidden, but not Wilson. I'm looking at buying a rifle with Redding/Wilson bushing dies included and having no experience of Wilson, not sure if one would be preferable over the other. You obviously find them a good fit for the brass you're using?

Hello again Leeman.

I have Forster and Redding dies for other cartridges, 6.5x47 etc. The Wilson was the first ‘try’ for my 6mm Dasher and measuring the case before and after FL sizing it is doing just the right amount of work on the brass when setting the shoulder back.

For ref I anneal every time, home made case lube and expand separately using a carbide mandrel to give .002 ‘ grip’ ( or there abouts , but consistent ).

The Wilson are nice quality. Thought about Widden but heard differing opinions on them, but you know how that goes

If it had been overworking the brass I would have had the die honed (NB not had this done before so no current ideas as to ‘who’).

T

Thibben,

Thanks for that info, sounds like they should work OK. I've used three sets of Whidden dies and all were the closest match to chambers I've used to date.

I would think you would have to send sies back to the manufacturers for this service, I know Forster and Redding will do it, not sure about any independents.

Leeman,

Don't get me wrong re Widden, just never used them. I believe they will make a set of dies to match your chamber, send them 5 fired cases.

It does look like returning your dies and some brass to the manufactures is the only option or......

....If you are looking for the ultimate die then the Warner is 'it' , I had one that came with my 6mm Swiss Match from Warner as they built the rifle. It is a work of engineering art and can be adjusted to do exactly what you want of a die, but serious £££ https://www.warner-tool.com/reloading-dies/ you also need a 1 1/2" threaded press e.g. Rockchucker with the reducing bush taken out.

T

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Leeman,

Don't get me wrong re Widden, just never used them. I believe they will make a set of dies to match your chamber, send them 5 fired cases.

It does look like returning your dies and some brass to the manufactures is the only option or......

....If you are looking for the ultimate die then the Warner is 'it' , I had one that came with my 6mm Swiss Match from Warner as they built the rifle. It is a work of engineering art and can be adjusted to do exactly what you want of a die, but serious £££ https://www.warner-tool.com/reloading-dies/ you also need a 1 1/2" threaded press e.g. Rockchucker with the reducing bush taken out.

T
    $650 for a custom sizing die

... indeed not a cheap option, but you can change the guts of the main housing for different cartridges - so slight reduction per cartridge you use.

Minimal working of your brass = longer life, with soe brass being £ a pop this helps.

But agree, not for all - and it was not that cost when I bought one.

T

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    $650 for a custom sizing die
    I made a custom sizing die for my .223 from a well used Lee FL die.
    It took a few hours to do but required little more than, various grades of emery cloth, some old fired cases with the flash hole drilled and tapped (or a case holder and a lot of patience when it keeps working loose), a battery drill and some lapping paste (T-cut).

The finished article was polished so that it only bumped the shoulder back a few though, and with the expander ball also polished (and using neck turned cases), it produced the most consistent rounds I ever made.

If you have time it is well worth the effort, and for £30 I felt it was worth the effort.