Thread: Benjamin hinged arm pumpers

Benjamin hinged arm pumpers

I've seen a couple of Benjamin pumpers with solid steel pump arm pivot pins & a couple with brass pivot pins. I can possibly see merit & potential issues in the use of either materials. Steel would resist wear at the point where the pump arm pivots but it could well accelerate wear on the outer tube body (or does the end cap take all the strain). Conversely brass would be less wearing to the outer tube but prone to wear & bending...so I am curious to know which is original. Overall do you think a 'hard' brass would be the best choice especially if it reduced wear to the pump tube & stoped the holes going out of round? Ive seen steel on steel in designs like a 1377 but this is different with a non ferrous pump tube.

Benjamin guns were manufactured with steel pins: including the main lever pin, crosshead pin, and link rivet. Brass would have been a poor choice as it would have worn away pretty fast. The solid brass end cap has plenty of meat to resist distortion from pumping loads. I have seen pump lever pivot holes worn out, likely due to years of dirt and/or overpumping.

Don R.

Thanks Don, that makes sense, couldn't really see brass being durable enough.

Roll/spring pins are cheap for the manufacturer but I think solid pins are the best upgrade for a multi pump they don't walk out and are easily removed for cleaning.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 06-11-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Replacing roll pins seems a popular move. Guess they are suited to some applicatons more than others, but seem a cheap alternative to a solid one.