Thread: Webley MkII mainsprings

Webley MkII mainsprings

What Mainsprings do people use as replacements? I was at a boot sale this morning and came across a drill bit. New and unused its a 4 flute 55/64" with a 3MT shank. Something in my head rang a bell so I bought it for the princely sum of £10.

got home and sure enough, Chris Thrale mentions in his book that Webley provided a service boring pistons out to this size to accept MK3 springs. I have 5 MkII rifles and took the pistons out to check. The drill fits like a glove in one of them but is just shy of entering the others.

So, What springs do people use, and is there any advantage to opening up the piston to accept the easily available standard Mk3 spring?

All mine shoot well anyway so don't think I will do it yet but just wondered what people think.

Leave well alone,the .25 I had recorded all of 6ft/lbs with rhino.

MK 2 service

The one I inherited from my late uncle had been tuned, three valve springs! Amazing it was capable of firing, but the flat ends must have created a lot of friction. According to Chambers, a mk3 Spring fits so I ordered one, can't remember if it needed any fettling, but now cocks and shoots. The 180 degree transfer port probably reduces the power, but it's fun to shoot! David