Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage pellet info/chinwag

Vintage pellet info/chinwag

Is there any books dedicated to exploring vintage airgun pellets, as i cant find any? Or even a section on airgun gallery perhaps with as many pellet pics as possible along with some history. If there was a book it would sell like hot cakes. Any recommendations on the best way to preserve paper and old tatty half rusty pellets boxes? I keep mine on an open shelf in my office away from direct sunlight so i can enjoy them but with the window open there is standard moisture in the air, how damaging is this to old cardboard and rusty tin? I wish there was more info available on how to best care after the few remaining old pellet boxes for historic reasons.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by BadPigeon View Post
    Is there any books dedicated to exploring vintage airgun pellets, as i cant find any? Or even a section on airgun gallery perhaps with as many pellet pics as possible along with some history. If there was a book it would sell like hot cakes. Any recommendations on the best way to preserve paper and old tatty half rusty pellets boxes? I keep mine on an open shelf in my office away from direct sunlight so i can enjoy them but with the window open there is standard moisture in the air, how damaging is this to old cardboard and rusty tin? I wish there was more info available on how to best care after the few remaining old pellet boxes for historic reasons.
    Hi, there is no dedicated book on airgun pellets. but there are some books that have some pages about pellets. like the Webley air pistols and rife books, but they only have Webley pellets in them. probably the best one with more types of pellets but not many is Dennis Hillier air rifles book.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Micky2 has summed it up pretty well, although there are also the John Atkin’s columns in Airgunner magazine, which from time to time discuss vintage airgun pellets. Added up over the years, these columns, always well illustrated, make up the most informative and knowledgable data base on vintage pellets there is. Unfortunately, unless you have been a long-time subscriber to Airgunner, it would be major task trying to track down the relevant magazines and collecting these articles together.

As far as preserving cardboard pellet boxes is concerned, I would leave well alone unless the carton is visibly disintegrating over time. If it is, you can consolidate it with clear cellulose-based wallpaper paste, which is invisible once dry, bonds the fibres, and seals the surface. Fading of the box printing is a problem if the boxes are on permanent display, but putting them behind glass, which cuts out a lot of the uv light, helps. You can also buy clear film to put on the inside of the glass, which is specifically designed to cut out almost all uv and the protect against fading. (https://www./itm/Anti-Fade-UV-Protec...4AAOSwvY5fK~e1). Direct sunlight is of course a definite no-no.

I am not a pellet collector as such, but I do have a small collection of vintage tins and boxes and like to display them, and I found the wall units that Aldi sell from time were ideal, and are inexpensive. When they have them in store they usually sell very quickly, so you have to keep a sharp lookout.

Various pics of pellet containers here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ins-boxes-etc/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Various pics of pellet containers here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ins-boxes-etc/
    Sorry Danny -forgot the obvious. As always, the Gallery should always be the first place to go for airgun related pics.

Pellets

Thanks for all the info, link, pics gents some fantastic pellets in the pics and especially thanks for the advice on looking after and preserving cardboard boxes. I will be a regular at Aldi until i find the display cabinet. Tx

If you want something smaller to protect your pellets and display them at the same time, then these cases are pretty good. You can stack them, hang them on the wall, or stand them individually on a shelf. They are quite soldily made, with a leather-look finish and genuine glass window. They cost about £11 on fleabay.

https://www./itm/72-Earring-Ring-Jew...cAAOSw18Ndy8tF

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    If you want something smaller to protect your pellets and display them at the same time, then these cases are pretty good. You can stack them, hang them on the wall, or stand them individually on a shelf. They are quite soldily made, with a leather-look finish and genuine glass window. They cost about £11 on fleabay.

https://www./itm/72-Earring-Ring-Jew...cAAOSw18Ndy8tF

These look perfect John, that link doesn’t work for me though and I couldn’t find that box on the bay.

Cheers,
    Matt

Yes, Matt, for some reason the link doesn’t work for me either. I have re-checked on Fleabay and in doing so found a better deal, where you can get the box I illustrated for £8.99 each, or £8.54 if you buy two or more. I think that is pretty good, considering that the price includes postage. Search this number:

The box size is 29 x 19 x 4 cm, which is not only deep enough for any pellet tins or boxes, but will also accommodate most types of air pistol. So you could keep or display your favourite pistols in these. Not bad, considering that you would have to pay £30-£50 for a cardboard repro’ box.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes, Matt, for some reason the link doesn’t work for me either. I have re-checked on Fleabay and in doing so found a better deal, where you can get the box I illustrated for £8.99 each, or £8.54 if you buy two or more. I think that is pretty good, considering that the price includes postage. Search this number:

The box size is 29 x 19 x 4 cm, which is not only deep enough for any pellet tins or boxes, but will also accommodate most types of air pistol. So you could keep or display your favourite pistols in these. Not bad, considering that you would have to pay £30-£50 for a cardboard repro’ box.

Perfect, thanks!

Shared a link with the O.P.

Matt

Forgot there used to be a Vintage American Airguns forum devoted to pellets and targets.

There is a PDF archive here, painstakingly recorded by Citizen K when Network 54 went tits up:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....llets_targets/

I used John's excellent advice on cheap display cases from the auction site for some of my meagre pellet container collection (sorry about the fuzzy pic):

Vintage Airguns Gallery

[QUOTE=Garvin;7933310]Forgot there used to be a Vintage American Airguns forum devoted to pellets and targets.

I used John's excellent advice on cheap display cases from the auction site for some of my meagre pellet container collection (sorry about the fuzzy pic):

Hi Danny,

When I decided to add some pellet packaging to my collection, it seemed there were so many out there that I needed to limit my scope to Webley, even then only to include tins and not paper from the period from the earliest pre-war tins up to the mid seventies where my particular interest in Webley products wanes.
    Although the collection started out quite briskly, it has taken many years now to finally source examples of the rarer tins which include the miniature, orange sectored .177 tin pictured in your collection. I had always believed that this particular tin would have been supplied as part of some form of promotional set, but have since been advised that it was included as a separate item in a 1970s Webley price list.

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Forgot there used to be a Vintage American Airguns forum devoted to pellets and targets.

There is a PDF archive here, painstakingly recorded by Citizen K when Network 54 went tits up:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....llets_targets/

That's a nice little collection you have there Danny, and in great condition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

When I decided to add some pellet packaging to my collection, it seemed there were so many out there that I needed to limit my scope to Webley, even then only to include tins and not paper from the period from the earliest pre-war tins up to the mid seventies where my particular interest in Webley products wanes.
    Although the collection started out quite briskly, it has taken many years now to finally source examples of the rarer tins which include the miniature, orange sectored .177 tin pictured in your collection. I had always believed that this particular tin would have been supplied as part of some form of promotional set, but have since been advised that it was included as a separate item in a 1970s Webley price list.

Brian
    Hi Brian

I was just browsing through that old AVA archive and in a post by someone called Dean, a Canadian, I spotted this tin, which I think you'll be interested in!

Vintage Airguns Gallery