Thread: Just how DO you stand and hold a springer pistol?

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Just how DO you stand and hold a springer pistol?

I'm disappointed with my groupings with the three springers. I get the best with a classic right-handed Webley in .22

I find the HW45 Black Star's grips more comfortable in my left hand, which is slightly narrower across the palm than my right hand. I'm right-handed but quite happy to shoot the ambi-grip HW left handed, using the other hand to simply support the weight of the pistol. It's using an HW .177 barrel at the mo but I'll try its original .22 barrel in due course. I believe the HW is more difficult to shoot in .177 and that's why I'm using it (also because I'm fond of a pound-note).

I hold the pistols gently and use the edge of the other hand's index finger somewhere under the trigger guard - which is generally where the centre of gravity of the pistols are - to support the pistol's weight

I try to keep my hold such that my arm is as close to directly behind the pistol as possible - not at an angle to the sight-line of the gun. I like the fibre glow sights of the HW.

It's hard to remember where to put my feet when shooting left or right. Where should they be put? In short, how could I get better groups?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I stand facing 45 degrees to the left of my target. I am right handed.
    I'm quite good with an HW45, but for me there is only one way to hold it - use the standard 1911 grip technique.

Hold the grip at the bottom, don't choke up onto the tail on the bottom of the action. Wrap your fingers around the front of the grip at the 2nd knuckle and hold the gun with these fingers, not your thumb. You should be able to lift your thumb away and turn the gun upside down, still holding it with just your fingers around the front edge of the grip. Lightly rest your thumb across the back of the grip, don't grip with your thumb.

Bring your cupped left hand up and gently rest the knuckles of your right hand in the palm of your left. Keep you left hand open, don't grip your right hand with your left.

Don't touch the trigger guard, it's tempting to poke a finger from that left hand forward to bear the weight of the gun under the fore end, don't do it.

Ironically enough, I've found that the contoured grips that HW fitted to the Black and Silver Stars pretty much prevents me from using the only grip style that works - so I like the older slab grip guns.

With my springer pistols Ive discovered that artillery hold is NOT most accurate.
    I use a firm hold with all for best results.
    They are very hold sensitive, every pistol likes a slightly different grip.
    One like squeeze with shooting hand, the other with non-shooting hand.
    One likes a straight thumb, other a bent..
    trial and error really
    But Ive managed 1cm edge-edge groups of 5 shots at about 5m so accurate it sure is.
    ATB,
    yana