Thread: HW77 tech question

HW77 tech question

Hi all. I have an old Mk1 Hw77 action bid like to keep it fully original. The underlever is bent. In the last 4-5 inches as it approaches the venom moderator. Is the underlever Salvagable? If so how is it best to straighten? And if not is a new underlever arrangement the same size OD? (I was unsure about the cocking shoe! Thanks G
    https://www.walnut.black

Rule of thumb says "if it bent cold without cracking it will straighten same way"
    Many ways to try depending on equipment available. Best to apply force in controlled way by press/clamp etc but tube/lever is OK
    Worth placing a piece of wood between barrel and lever at point of bend then squeeze them together with both hands or a clamp.
    The barrel will stand it.
    Don't understand cocking shoe ref. The 77 doesn't have one.

I wonder if the OP is asking if the current underlevers will match up to retaining mechanism on the Venom silencer.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I think I might be tempted to remove the underlever from the rifle so that I could clamp it on the bench and more easily apply controlled pressure to the bar with less risk of slipping and damaging other parts of the rifle. Being able to rotate the lever against a flat surface in good light will also help identify the mid-point location of the bend.

Can be bent back easily enough, Geoff - but usually it leaves a ‘crease mark’. Easily enough to cover up with a cocking aid, or some knurling to the grip area of the underlever.
    Best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Its just tube same as TX, bonded to the pivot.
    Trigger let go? seen loads with only three injuries, what lead to the bare trap.
    May be easier to remove and straighten.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    Hi all. I have an old Mk1 Hw77 action bid like to keep it fully original. The underlever is bent. In the last 4-5 inches as it approaches the venom moderator. Is the underlever Salvagable? If so how is it best to straighten? And if not is a new underlever arrangement the same size OD? (I was unsure about the cocking shoe! Thanks G
    How do you think the U/L got bent ? Post a pic so we can have a gander and give advice, removing the lever from the action would be my first step.
    Hw77+7

small padded vice and a length of steel tube to give you some leverage, use tape to protect the finish - its easy to straighten without taking off.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

thanks

Thank you all. I have since acquired a Mk1 replacement arm which will give the confidence to tackle the other without reprisal. Advice noted. here goes.
    https://www.walnut.black

Great news. It'll straighten fine.