Thread: Cadet Major sights advice please

Cadet Major sights advice please

Hello all, i have recently been given a cm which has spent a long time in a shed.
    The original sights are long gone and have been replaced with useless diy efforts (a nut glued onto barrel with a grubscrew in for a front sight) My intention was to replace these with the correct sights, which now seems unlikely having read through this forum. Furthermore, the dovetails have been filled with brazing (is it possible/practical to file these clean?)
    This is a sweet shooting little rifle and i would like to make it usable again even if i have to stick some kind of sights on the barrel. Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received, thank you.

Making sights

Brazing or bronze welding will file away easily, the colour change will show when you reach the parent metal! Filing a fore sight is relatively easy, but you might need some practice first, warding or needle files will be the best for the final fitting, but you will have to remove a lot of metal if you start with a solid bar.
    Finding a very fine thread to make a rear sight might be tough, perhaps try a simple groove first before making an elevation adjustable one! Have fun. David

It looks like this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

If you’ve done a bit of research you’ve probably already established that a significant portion of a Cadet Major’s value is in its open sights, particularly a complete rear sight.

Regarding the brazing in the dovetail yes this will file out and won’t leave a trace if you take your time with it.

If you want original sights the best way may be to buy another rifle that still has them in place, rough ones can be picked up for as little as £40. Then sell off whatever bits you have left over to recoup some money.

Cheers
    Greg

Thats very helpful,thank you for the replies chaps