Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking Good

Sandown

Good to see many of my fellow BBS members today. A big thank you to Peter and Liz for organising a fair in these most trying of times.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Just a quick update.

A quick respite from the god awful weather has allowed a little play time.

The Super match club shoots sublimely. Taps a bit stiff from lack of use, but a joy to shoot. Provided it gets past the chrono, it will get a session at bell target club when we resume.

The Barakuda, without ether obviously, also very nice. A little boingy, but then it's a 35 in wolfs clothing.

The Anson firefly, oh my, what can I say. The power was quite shocking, 2 plant pots stacked together, 6 yds, kapow. Straight through. Given the age and design, way better than I expected. Big old smile.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Just a quick update.

A quick respite from the god awful weather has allowed a little play time.

The Super match club shoots sublimely. Taps a bit stiff from lack of use, but a joy to shoot. Provided it gets past the chrono, it will get a session at bell target club when we resume.

The Barakuda, without ether obviously, also very nice. A little boingy, but then it's a 35 in wolfs clothing.

The Anson firefly, oh my, what can I say. The power was quite shocking, 2 plant pots stacked together, 6 yds, kapow. Straight through. Given the age and design, way better than I expected. Big old smile.

Dave
    Hello Dave.

Are you able to say what the difference between your 'Supermatch' and the 'Supertarget' is please? What, if anything, is stamped on the cylinder? Are you able to state the serial number?

What makes you believe it should be called a 'Supermatch'?

I've never come across one of these so would be very interested to know more about it.

Thanks.

I've just found the answer to my own question.

In their price list of MAY 1963 Webley called this pre Supertarget model the " SUPER MATCH CLUB MODEL," (4 words) priced at £16 14 0.

In their brochure of the time it was the TARGET or CLUB model, and the following year the SUPERTARGET.

Then in their price list of JANUARY 1964 it became the SUPER TARGET CLUB MODEL (4 words) priced at a whopping £28 10 0

Then after it became simply the SUPERTARGET - one word.

The PRE Supertarget version is indeed a nicer better made rifle than the later versions.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I was working on it, but here you go. Some snaps.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bqDPdLD

Dave
    Smell my cheese

More names!

In 1957 the .177 Mk.3 with aperture sight was referred to as the ".177 CLUB TARGET".

In March 1965 in The Shooting Times it was called the "Mark 111 SUPERTARGET CLUB MODEL", the price now having risen to £29 15 0

The Webley marketing dept really couldn't make their minds up it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    More names!

In March 1965 in The Shooting Times it was called the "Mark 111 SUPERTARGET CLUB MODEL", the price now having risen to £29 15 0
    The advert for March 1965 reproduced on page 70 of Mr. Thrale's book just states it is a 'Target or Club' , no mention of 'Supertarget'. Do you have a different printing of the same advert? if so, that would be interesting

PS

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    More names!

In 1957 the .177 Mk.3 with aperture sight was referred to as the ".177 CLUB TARGET".

The Webley marketing dept really couldn't make their minds up it seems!
    So presumably, Chris, No. 44020 that I mistakenly thought of as a prototype Supertarget was actually a Supermatch.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    The advert for March 1965 reproduced on page 70 of Mr. Thrale's book just states it is a 'Target or Club' , no mention of 'Supertarget'. Do you have a different printing of the same advert? if so, that would be interesting

PS
    I have to ask - you know who "slug gun" is, right ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Guess why I put 3 laughs after the PS?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    So presumably, Chris, No. 44020 that I mistakenly thought of as a prototype Supertarget was actually a Supermatch.
    Hi David,

I mentioned this to you some time ago!!!

They're not really prototypes but production arms. It was in your 1963 dated red Export price list that we first noticed the Super Match name.

All conjecture now but it seems Webley toyed with the Super Match name but then changed it to Supertarget.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi David,

I mentioned this to you some time ago!!!

They're not really prototypes but production arms. It was in your 1963 dated red Export price list that we first noticed the Super Match name.

All conjecture now but it seems Webley toyed with the Super Match name but then changed it to Supertarget.

Kind regards,

John
    I remember we had discussed this previously, but can't remember an exact classification for 44020 being decided.
    Thinking about it, 'Prototype' was a bit of a misnomer as it was no different to a standard Supertarget apart from not having the name impressed on the action, so if it's not a Supermatch, I presume 'pre production Supertarget' would be a more apt description.
    I still haven't found the original 'red' price list so it may well have gone elsewhere.
    My entire C67 folder has now been sold.

Many years ago, I was shown a mk3 that had "Supertarget" acid etched in silver font across the cylinder.
    He was a very interesting old gentleman that personally knew all the famous makers across Birmingham and collected and traded fascinating items. At one time he had owned every single variation of rifle, musket, pistol and sword ever issued to the British services right from the early doglock muskets up to the SLR. He used to buy mixed bundles of muskets for a fixed price from the Tower in the 1950's. You had to take what you were given, but there were rareities in there. He had albums of photographs. We talked to the early hours (including his wife too). I always remember it as a wonderful evening. He was going to sell me his library of reference books, but sadly I never got back to him. I hope he is still with us. I'm sure I have his card somewhere.
    His was certainly no lash up. So there must be at least one etched Supertarget out there
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I hope everybody as a good day there tomorrow after all the hard work that Peter and Liz have put in to get this fair on. sadly l wont be there again.
    Sadly, we never received any email of cancelation or phone call and waited on the gate for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    In the advert under the heading "Specifications of three outstanding air rifles", the three versions are so:

Standard .22 model

Standard .177 model with a bead foresight and V rearsight - which is called the TARGET or CLUB model. Both £21 0 0

Then the 3rd is the " Mark 111 SUPERTARGET CLUB MODEL" at much more money! (£29 15 0)

All this serves to show is that even Webley at the time were totally confused as to what the heavy barrelled, aperture sighted .177 version of their Mk.3 should be called! No wonder collectors decades later don't stand a chance!