Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking Good

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    In the advert under the heading "Specifications of three outstanding air rifles", the three versions are so:

Standard .22 model

Standard .177 model with a bead foresight and V rearsight - which is called the TARGET or CLUB model. Both £21 0 0

Then the 3rd is the " Mark 111 SUPERTARGET CLUB MODEL" at much more money! (£29 15 0)

All this serves to show is that even Webley at the time were totally confused as to what the heavy barrelled, aperture sighted .177 version of their Mk.3 should be called! No wonder collectors decades later don't stand a chance!
    My apologies for not reading the advert fully. You are of course, Quite correct

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    I've just found the answer to my own question.

In their price list of MAY 1963 Webley called this pre Supertarget model the " SUPER MATCH CLUB MODEL," (4 words) priced at £16 14 0.

In their brochure of the time it was the TARGET or CLUB model, and the following year the SUPERTARGET.

Then in their price list of JANUARY 1964 it became the SUPER TARGET CLUB MODEL (4 words) priced at a whopping £28 10 0

Then after it became simply the SUPERTARGET - one word.

The PRE Supertarget version is indeed a nicer better made rifle than the later versions.
    How interesting, many years ago I bought an unmarked model from a big collector who told me that it was rare because they forgot to stamp the chamber ! Seems I got more ( better ) than I bargained for !!

This arrived yesterday

Strange how things turn up at times. not the rare one though