Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkngood View Post
Back in the day of NARPA shooting we used to put the targets in an oven to dry them out and then shoot them. It improved the definition and ease of scoring on them because it it made the card brittle. Why not try it?
NARPA only shot at 6 yards - but what a good introduction to the sort of target shooting with an airgun they had to offer!

I first started target shooting with an air pistol in 1971 thanks to NARPA as they offered an inexpensive and easy to enter postal competition with an excellent "once a year" live final at RAF Cosford.

These meetings saw the likes of many top air pistol and air rifle shooter competing against each other - many of whom went on to shoot at international level.

Getting back to the thread - I often shot my recoilless match air pistols at 20 yards in the Exmouth Small Bore Club and outdoors on the Royal Marines range at Straight Point and the holes were sharp enough to score.

As Robin suggests - if you are adjusting the velocity of your pistol to match your pellets - do it to get the groups tighter rather than worry about the sharpness of the cut holes. If you shoot perfectly sharply cut holes that are spaced randomly because the velocity chosen affects the accuracy of the pellet, then IMHO it would be a wasted exercise.