Thread: What's the minimum velocity that ensures a clean hole in the target at 20x.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's the minimum velocity that ensures a clean hole in the target at 20x.

I shoot standing match pistol at 20 yards using flat head pellets and would appreciate a bit of info re the following : what would knowledgeable shooters recommended as being the minimum terminal velocity that would punch a clean hole in the target ?

If it's pellet dependent, a bit more info regarding pellet choice appreciated.

I'd appreciate this info so's I can look at maximising shot count per session, but in addition, would appreciate any comments regarding adverse effects regarding accuracy so's I can balance the outcome.

Lastly, if you are reading this and own an LP 50, any chance your tell me the MV of your Pistol and the shot count from 200 Bar down to say 100 Bar (or alternatively a level just above where accuracy or correct pistol function would be affected).

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 05-10-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Interesting post Vic, most 10m match rifles would punch a nice clean hole at 10m with a muzzle velocity of 600fps, but that does not answer your question. I'd suggest a Crosman 766 pump, chrono at each pump, shoot at 20m on paper, and compare results?

I've got a Rekord LP3 that runs about 250fps, I can try that at short range with wadcutters and see what it does?
    Last edited by coburn; 04-10-2020 at 06:31 PM.

The paper target will have a large effect on how clean the hole is... "proper" targets are printed on a specific type of paper and will produce a cleaner hole than normal copier paper..

Vic,

If we assume that ca. 400 fps will produce a clean hole on a 'quality' target (e.g. McQueen NSRA targets) :

From Chairgun, with an 8 gr. flat headed pellet, ca. 500 fps at the muzzle will give ca. 400 fps at the target at 20 yards.

So around 500 fps as a crude estimate.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Lp50 mv

Vic

I'd be more interested in accuracy than MV, as long as it punches a scoreable hole and is accurate then its fine.

My LP50e compact, with the standard, as it came Muzzle Velocity using RWS R10's shot perfectly and has won several 25 mt sport pistol British Championships, sadly not in my hands!

Cylinder will easily last the match and sighters.

If you are concerned,the man who will really know is Harry Preston, give him a call.

My wife did some tests for our club last year shooting prone with her LG400 air rifle at 25 yds, the holes were very sharp.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Back in the day of NARPA shooting we used to put the targets in an oven to dry them out and then shoot them. It improved the definition and ease of scoring on them because it it made the card brittle. Why not try it?
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.