Thread: What's the minimum velocity that ensures a clean hole in the target at 20x.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the useful replies to date. I'm only a plinker these days due to "the shakes" so am not too worried about accuracy to the level that most people are, but as I like to get about 200 or more shots off per visit to the range a good shot count per cylinder is useful to me. I'm currently using Hobby pellets and strangely enough they are surprisingly accurate but with the flight characteristics of a wall brick (as are apparently all flathead pellets). If I'm unlikely to get both a nicely cut hole at 20x along with a good shot count, I might as well consider using a round headed pellet with a better BC. That way according to Chairgun I can set my pistols up to get a trajectory that's ok (by my standards) for both 10 and 20x without sight adjustment with only 45fps loss in Velocity over a 20x range rather than the all but 100fps from flatheads. That way I can also reduce the MV for the same terminal velocity and save on shot count.

Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 07-10-2020 at 08:07 AM.