Thread: Airsporter resto completed!

Airsporter resto completed!

Thanks one and all for advice provided as I've worked my way through the rejuvenation of a friends Airsporter. I'm rather pleased with how its come up, I think my friend will be delighted, and a few shots with some Marksman no.2 5.6mm pellets to check the zero and it'll soon be back in the hands of its owner. Its given me great pleasure to fettle this old gun over the last couple of months.

http://imgur.com/a/VE4r6dh
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Very good ... Not seen one with those type of dovetails before, they look neat pocketed like that.
    I assume you've reblued it, what did you use? as it almost looks non-reflective which could come in handy.

I didn't want to touch the bluing, spoke to ISP to see whether they could replicate the etching on the top and they dont have the screen to do the mk2 like the mk1, and the costs of getting one made would have been too great. So decision after much discussion with my friend was to leave the exterior of the metal work as is and preserve the original markings. He can always change his mind at a later date if he really wants the metal super shiny.

So the internals have been refreshed including o-ring head for the piston, guides, new spring, steel piston, sleeved transfer port, trigger fettled to make it smoother and lighter and woodwork refinished with danish oil.

Great work, very well done 👍
    I’ve a meteor with dovetails like that .

Nice work, the stock is in great condition and the right decision on the metalwork the etching makes all the difference IMO.
    Steve

Cheers folks. All original finish was taken off the stock then 7 coats of danish oil, rubbed down with 0000 wire wool then wiped off with white spirit on the last three coats.

Squeezed a few minutes on the garden range this dinner and it all seems to be working nicely. Takes a bit of getting used to the old gun after using nothing but a modern springer for the last couple of months but it's a real pleasure to have it in tip top condition again.