Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bsa mercury

bsa mercury

just replaced spring and piston seal on a old mercury,now the trigger block don't line up.
    can any one tell me what ive done wrong.?
    career mk3 hawk 3x9-50, mk1 rapid hawk 3x9-56 pulsar n550,

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by dave23 View Post
    just replaced spring and piston seal on a old mercury,now the trigger block don't line up.
    nothin you've done wrong... but take a look at the back block (when removed)... the threaded bit is secured to the actual block with an internal nut, so it can be indexed. It's probably come loose and allowed the threaded section to rotate, buggering up the indexing.

Tighten than nut (a bit, not fully), screw the block in, make a note of how many degrees of rotational adjustment you need, take it apart, adjust. Repeat as necesary. Mark it to guard against unplanned movement during test fitting. There should be a "gripping washer" like a aggressive star washer, but bigger, between the threaded section and the actual block. Once you are certain on alignment, that threaded section can be threadlocked in place to the block.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

How far out in degrees,has the threaded portion of the back block moved?

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    How far out in degrees,has the threaded portion of the back block moved?
    about 45degrees out
    career mk3 hawk 3x9-50, mk1 rapid hawk 3x9-56 pulsar n550,

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by dave23 View Post
    Proper fix--Adjust the nut.

other fix (if it is at say 4 o clock rather than 8 o clock) , take a file gently to the back of the cylinder until the block goes to about 5 o clock and then nip up.

If it is at 8 o clock, a bit of twine between the 2 "may" do the trick.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Proper fix--Adjust the nut
    As above, years ago I thought it would be a good idea to take back block completely to pieces, I did get it aligned but it took ages with adjusting, scrrewing on testing, repeating etc

Never took one apart again
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I honestly wouldn't worry about it, a few of mine have a small gap between the back block and cylinder, as long as the trigger guard part is lined up with the stock cut out and cocking slot, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nothin you've done wrong... but take a look at the back block (when removed)... the threaded bit is secured to the actual block with an internal nut, so it can be indexed. It's probably come loose and allowed the threaded section to rotate, buggering up the indexing.

Tighten than nut (a bit, not fully), screw the block in, make a note of how many degrees of rotational adjustment you need, take it apart, adjust. Repeat as necesary. Mark it to guard against unplanned movement during test fitting. There should be a "gripping washer" like a aggressive star washer, but bigger, between the threaded section and the actual block. Once you are certain on alignment, that threaded section can be threadlocked in place to the block.
    I've got 2 that I'm restoring with the same issue...I'd heard of both methods.

I've just got to select the route of least risk.....however I've been tying to make up my mind for approx. 6 months.......( ;-)>

Cheers Steve

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I've got 2 that I'm restoring with the same issue...I'd heard of both methods.

I've just got to select the route of least risk.....however I've been tying to make up my mind for approx. 6 months.......( ;-)>

Cheers Steve
    You just need to remember that once that nut has been undone that you need to make sure that it's threadlocked as if it's done up and it comes loose you'll struggle to get it back undone as the back block will just spin and not come undone, I had that problem with a Challenger.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    You just need to remember that once that nut has been undone that you need to make sure that it's threadlocked as if it's done up and it comes loose you'll struggle to get it back undone as the back block will just spin and not come undone, I had that problem with a Challenger.

Pete
    I think that gives me my option...take a file to the cylinder...carefully.
    Cheers Steve

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I think that gives me my option...take a file to the cylinder...carefully.
    Cheers Steve
    If not fixing it properly, I'd go with a wrap of copper wire to space it out instead.. much easier/quicker, the wire will conform / squash and bite nicely, it can be fine tuned with different thicknesses, and it's reversible. As a bonus you also gain a fraction of a mm more stroke
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    If not fixing it properly, I'd go with a wrap of copper wire to space it out instead.. much easier/quicker, the wire will conform / squash and bite nicely, it can be fine tuned with different thicknesses, and it's reversible. As a bonus you also gain a fraction of a mm more stroke
    Many thanks John.

As and Engineer....I think I should attempt to do it Properly......watch this space.

Has any one got a knackered one that I could us as a trial / development unit ?

Cheers Steve

Can’t you just fit the removed threaded collar to the trigger block and mark with point where it needs to be nipped up to after a trial fit , then do the same on the nut side ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    Can’t you just fit the removed threaded collar to the trigger block and mark with point where it needs to be nipped up to after a trial fit , then do the same on the nut side ?
    That's going to be the plan...

Mercury

After many months, today I reassemble my 2 early '70's Mercury's.

I replace both of the nylon heads with Ali ones, used the old springs - they were both straight as die - replace the spring guides with Acetal ones and added top hats.

I managed to fit the back block without a compressor - what a faf - and I spaced out the back block to get it in the right angular position.

The bolt holding the front stock mounting bracket to the cylinder of one had to be drilled out and re-tapped

One is showing 10.5 and the other 11.0 over the Scan using 5.5 Super Domes, after about a couple of dozen pellets thru them.

I've got an early BSA lightning lined up next.....hopefully that will be a simpler task?

Give me an HW or an AA to rebuild any day.

Cheers Steve