Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley viscount deluxe

Webley viscount deluxe

Just finished a restoration job on my viscount deluxe, stock sorted, reblacked, and fully serviced, turned out very nice not sure how many of these classics were made but they are a lovely looking rifle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EvMoTy34NWkexJaU8

Dave.

That is very nice indeed. Can't remember when I last saw on online let alone in the flesh!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

They are gorgeous. And they handle well. Really nice job you’ve done on that.

Unfortunately they have the pretty average 80s Webley innards and the same mediocre trigger as the Vulcan (etc).

I think they are really quite rare. I see (guestimate) about twenty to fifty Trackers come up on sale or threads to every Viscount, and the Viscount Deluxe hardly ever.

Judging from Chris Thrales’ book, it’s possible that Webley at various points in the 80s stopped making Viscounts, instead relying on selling new old stock.

In addition to the regular Deluxe, the Viscount and Tracker were offered in 1984-6 from the factory with walnut tyrolean stocks. I think they are incredibly rare. Thrale quotes a price of £120 for the regular Deluxe, but £169 for the Tyrolean, at a time when an HW80 or FWB Sport or HW77 could be got for £100-140 (IIRC).

I've personally only ever seen a couple of viscount deluxe models, and not that many of the standard versions, i think back in the day most went for the shorter carbine tracker model, but for me the viscount is a much better looking and handling gun, the deluxe version has a look of a quality centerfire rifle, they were also quite expensive compared to other offerings from Germany, and their power was an issue they only managed around 10ftb and back in the 80's everyone was power crazy.

Nice job and a nice rifle that Dave.

Beautiful rifle and that looks like an excellent job.

I'm lucky enough to have a .177 Viscount Deluxe which is definitely one of my favourite guns.

I did a thread a while ago on the Viscount discussing it's lack of popularity. Even when one does come up for sale, despite their rarity, they never sell like they're all that desirable

I think the deluxe version is one of the best looking air rifles ever made.

Cheers
    Greg

That is absolutely beautiful! Just my humble opinion, the Tracker/Viscount series are the best-styled rifles Webley ever made - the long barrel being the more elegant of the two - and that is a stunning example.

I actually owned a .22 walnut Viscount briefly, and it is one of the rifles I most regret selling. I also parted with a third-series Tracker which I would gladly trade for the "Barnett Spitfire" (Americanized early Tracker) I now have.

I too have always been mystified these guns were not more popular. Yeah they don't push the power limit, but in return they are slender, light, and well-balanced. And I don't even mind the trigger...a well broken-in and lubed Vulcan-family trigger is not at all inappropriate for a sporting rifle (yeah I know I'm a team of one on that point, LOL).

That's lovely Dave, who did the blacking?

Webley triggers, being direct, can be awful if the gun is oversprung. With a bit of work they're nice crisp single stage triggers.

I reblacked it myself, and over springing a tracker/viscount is the worst thing you can do to them, they shoot awfull and they can be easily damaged, a good tip to increase power and consistency slightly is to keep the factory main spring but ditch the original ptfe main piston seal and fit the parachute type seal from the TX200 it works a treat.

Dave.

Beautiful work! Never seen a Viscount, but can imagine that it feels like something between a Tracker and an Osprey?

How do you fit the AA seal? Do you machine the piston or alter the seal?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Beautiful work! Never seen a Viscount, but can imagine that it feels like something between a Tracker and an Osprey?

How do you fit the AA seal? Do you machine the piston or alter the seal?

To fit the TX200 seal you just remove the white webley ptfe main seal, but importantly leave the black rubber buffer seal in place and simply pop the TX seal in place its as simple as that, the Diana 24 seal will also do the same job.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    To fit the TX200 seal you just remove the white webley ptfe main seal, but importantly leave the black rubber buffer seal in place and simply pop the TX seal in place its as simple as that, the Diana 24 seal will also do the same job.

Dave.
    You should see how he gets the glass cover off a HW100 cylinder. Witchcraft I tells ya! To the ducking stool .
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What a great job you have done there. and a nice looking rifle as well.

What a beauty - I remember Arthur Shepherd ?.....used to use one in airgun world in the 80's.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."