Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle weights for HW77k

Muzzle weights for HW77k

After finally getting the HW77k to behave nicely (tried several springs, piston seals, piston weights, and varied preload until I found a compination that works forme) the gun needs more weight up front.

Yes, I know that I should have got a 97k in the first place, but sometimes you have to work with what you got.

Are there any reasonably priced options for muzzle weights in the 77k?

You could add a cocking aid to the under lever, that will add a bit of weight forward on the gun and can be done relatively cheaply? I did it on my TX200 and it helped reduce a bit of the muzzle flip.
    Cheers
    Dave
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    After finally getting the HW77k to behave nicely (tried several springs, piston seals, piston weights, and varied preload until I found a compination that works forme) the gun needs more weight up front.

Yes, I know that I should have got a 97k in the first place, but sometimes you have to work with what you got.

Are there any reasonably priced options for muzzle weights in the 77k?
    Geoff at LSD Designs made a barrel weight for my hw77k and it makes it better to shoot, and not loads heavier.
    Couldn't say how much the weight alone was because he did other work on it as well.
    If you want a pic for ideas send me e mail addy, I can't get them on here

Thanks, Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Dai.T View Post
    You could add a cocking aid to the under lever, that will add a bit of weight forward on the gun and can be done relatively cheaply? I did it on my TX200 and it helped reduce a bit of the muzzle flip.
    Cheers
    Dave
    That is probably the easiest solution, didn't think of that! Thank you!
    Are there any cocking aids available, or do I have to make one?
    Last edited by evert; 13-10-2020 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moss74 View Post
    Geoff at LSD Designs made a barrel weight for my hw77k and it makes it better to shoot, and not loads heavier.
    Couldn't say how much the weight alone was because he did other work on it as well.
    If you want a pic for ideas send me e mail addy, I can't get them on here

Thanks, Martin
    Any ideas are welcome, will PM you!

I doubt there is space to put a rail on the barrel and then bolt on weights (I did this on to the stock of a 10-22 and it worked really well).

Strip the cocking lever and glue a steel rod inside it. I expect it is hollow.

Replace your scope mounts with heavier steel ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dai.T View Post
    Cheers
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    That is probably the easiest solution, didn't think of that! Thank you!
    Are there any cocking aids available, or do I have to make one?
    Guessing V-Mach still do one?

Rowan Engineering do them in brass or aluminium (which may, or may not, suit your weighting requirements).

You could enlist the lovable Jonny Neate to make one.

Or, if it's something that you can do yourself and you have the time to experiment, how about testing the rifle for accuracy / muzzle flip (or "float") with some sort of system where you can vary the weight, and the positioning of that weight, decide on the best layout and then make it to suit? Could be most enlightening and satisfying.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Strip the cocking lever and glue a steel rod inside it. I expect it is hollow.
    That is actually a very good idea! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Replace your scope mounts with heavier steel ones.
    I already find the 77k to be too "center heavy", which in my head contributes to a gun that moves more so that would not be of any help to me.
    But still a good trick if one wishes to manipulate balance!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Guessing V-Mach still do one?

Rowan Engineering do them in brass or aluminium (which may, or may not, suit your weighting requirements).

You could enlist the lovable Jonny Neate to make one.

Or, if it's something that you can do yourself and you have the time to experiment, how about testing the rifle for accuracy / muzzle flip (or "float") with some sort of system where you can vary the weight, and the positioning of that weight, decide on the best layout and then make it to suit? Could be most enlightening and satisfying.
    Thanks for the input.
    I'll probably start with making a cocking lever grip out of steel, which in turn gives me an excuse to practice my somewhat lacking rust bluing abilities!

It'll be nice to see the finished result, evert.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It'll be nice to see the finished result, evert.
    I'll try and get some pictures posted if I get around to making a cocking grip anytime soon.
    Probably wont be blued in a long while, because I dont like working with chemicals.
    Did some hot caustic bluing some years back, and that stuff is messy!

Yes, it isn't something that I've ever attempted and I applaud the efforts and results of those that have successfully accomplished this at home.

Sleeve the barrel. That’s the best and prettiest method
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Sleeve the barrel. That’s the best and prettiest method
    Thats just stunning!
    I've been trying to source some seamless tube for a while, but its difficult to find in less than 6m lengths here in Norway.