Thread: Keeping Co2 airguns working.

Keeping Co2 airguns working.

Is there a definitive guide to keeping these guns in good working order ? As most airgunners know, the urge to own more than what you need or use, leads to starting a collection. Occasional use, but more often stored for weeks, if not longer, what's the best way for these Co2 guns. I trust there's a answer rather than what the wife says as ' don't buy them in the first place '.

From my experience I don't think that there is a definitive answer....

Years ago I bought an Umarex S&W 586 and I would normally leave the part-used or empty Co2 capsule in position until the next shooting session, and I've not had any leaks from that gun. I've fired thousand of shots through it and used hundreds of capsules, normally Umarex capsules, and have not had any issues

A few years ago I bought a second-hand Benjamin EB22, and although it looks like it has not been used much, it has started to dump a whole Co2 capsule as soon as it is pierced and I've always stored that gun without a capsule in place. New seals required for that gun.

This year I have bought three more Co2 guns, and I've taken out the empty capsule when I've finished shooting, and have not had any problems so far......

A drop of Pellgun oil on the seals is good advice, as is general care and cleaning.

The problem is, as you say, is they are 'collectable' and fun to use, and there's no harm in that
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Pellgunoil, otherwise apparently known as automatic transmission fluid, cures a lot of issues.

If the capsule is sealed by the valve seal contacting the capsule then dont leave it with gas, always remove the capsule when storing. If it seals via the cylinder tube, leave with gas in. As mentioned always put a blob of pelgun oil on the end of the capsule. If you want me to go into more detail why let me know.

I suggest they are used regularly.
    Leave them filled or empty over time and you will have problems.

An interesting topic.

Really don't know the answer. But would welcome any thorts...
    I've got 3 CO2 pistols. Only used in Summer. Always leave the capsules in, stored in a dry room. Never used Pellgun oil, or ATF. As the latter is used in the harsh environment of auto gearboxes, never fancied using in my CO2 guns with (presumably) rubber/composite seals.
    Like I said, don't know the answer - but would like to know the best way to keep them running for as long as my old Wobbleys!

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Really don't know the answer. But would welcome any thorts...
    I've got 3 CO2 pistols. Only used in Summer. Always leave the capsules in, stored in a dry room. Never used Pellgun oil, or ATF. As the latter is used in the harsh environment of auto gearboxes, never fancied using in my CO2 guns with (presumably) rubber/composite seals.
    Like I said, don't know the answer - but would like to know the best way to keep them running for as long as my old Wobbleys!

ATB

Bru
    If you read my post Bru.... with regards to pistols NEVER leave them with capsules stored. The co2 will damage the valve seal, in addition capsules have different shaped ends so leaving them with one maker will leave an indent in the valve seal so when you use a different brand the gun will piss gas out when you try to seal. Always store with a smear of pelgun oil on the seal to preserve the valve seal. Rifles are different as they seal via a cylinder end cap so leaving it gassed will keep pressure on the exhaust valve preventing any dirt contacting the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    If you read my post Bru.... with regards to pistols NEVER leave them with capsules stored. The co2 will damage the valve seal, in addition capsules have different shaped ends so leaving them with one maker will leave an indent in the valve seal so when you use a different brand the gun will piss gas out when you try to seal. Always store with a smear of pelgun oil on the seal to preserve the valve seal. Rifles are different as they seal via a cylinder end cap so leaving it gassed will keep pressure on the exhaust valve preventing any dirt contacting the seal.
    I'm sorry, but how could CO2 damage a valve seal? Carbon dioxide is an inert gas is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly bob View Post
    I'm sorry, but how could CO2 damage a valve seal? Carbon dioxide is an inert gas is it not?
    With all due respect, if you research how most commonly used O rings react to Co2 you will be surprised at what damage it does to them, I can speak from experience of many years resealing Co2 air guns.

Regards, Lawrie

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Thanks for that - I will change my ways! A good point re brands having different indents. Hadn't thought of that.

All the best

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    With all due respect, if you research how most commonly used O rings react to Co2 you will be surprised at what damage it does to them, I can speak from experience of many years resealing Co2 air guns.

Regards, Lawrie
    I have had seals become porous and absorb CO2 in internal blister-like deformations from which it would eventually be released. But I was taught at school that carbon dioxide was an inert gas, so I assumed that was due to a deterioration of the seal material that would have happened with any compressed gas

Having gone away and done a little research, I stand humbly corrected

Thank you, Master Lawrie

My experience: Umarex Beretta 92FS, 8 years old.

Used mainly in winter season, so can sit for several months unused.

Never left bulbs in it.

First 7 years I used Umarex bulbs. Never missed a beat. Always a drop of Pellgun on the tip of each bulb.

Easily shoots 2 mag's worth into 1/2' - 3/4" group at 6 metres, unrested. To mix units...

Last season I changed to Crosman bulbs - which appear to have some oil in them. NOT the Walther 'maintenance' bulbs which are for occasional use.

Got gun out a month or so back, bulb in, not working. Opened underlever and CO2 escaped, so bulb WAS pierced. Tried with several bulbs - both Crosman and Umarex. Maybe one bulb in 5 might work, but missed shots occurred.

Valve clearly sticking.

Flushed it, around 300 shots through it, and gun is now 100% reliable again with Umarex bulbs.

So, for me, Crosman bulbs will now be relegated to occasional (maybe 1 in 10) usage...

Umarexs don't like or need Pellgun oil

There Ive said it.