Thread: Keeping Co2 airguns working.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keeping Co2 airguns working.

Is there a definitive guide to keeping these guns in good working order ? As most airgunners know, the urge to own more than what you need or use, leads to starting a collection. Occasional use, but more often stored for weeks, if not longer, what's the best way for these Co2 guns. I trust there's a answer rather than what the wife says as ' don't buy them in the first place '.

From my experience I don't think that there is a definitive answer....

Years ago I bought an Umarex S&W 586 and I would normally leave the part-used or empty Co2 capsule in position until the next shooting session, and I've not had any leaks from that gun. I've fired thousand of shots through it and used hundreds of capsules, normally Umarex capsules, and have not had any issues

A few years ago I bought a second-hand Benjamin EB22, and although it looks like it has not been used much, it has started to dump a whole Co2 capsule as soon as it is pierced and I've always stored that gun without a capsule in place. New seals required for that gun.

This year I have bought three more Co2 guns, and I've taken out the empty capsule when I've finished shooting, and have not had any problems so far......

A drop of Pellgun oil on the seals is good advice, as is general care and cleaning.

The problem is, as you say, is they are 'collectable' and fun to use, and there's no harm in that
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Pellgunoil, otherwise apparently known as automatic transmission fluid, cures a lot of issues.

If the capsule is sealed by the valve seal contacting the capsule then dont leave it with gas, always remove the capsule when storing. If it seals via the cylinder tube, leave with gas in. As mentioned always put a blob of pelgun oil on the end of the capsule. If you want me to go into more detail why let me know.

I suggest they are used regularly.
    Leave them filled or empty over time and you will have problems.

An interesting topic.

Really don't know the answer. But would welcome any thorts...
    I've got 3 CO2 pistols. Only used in Summer. Always leave the capsules in, stored in a dry room. Never used Pellgun oil, or ATF. As the latter is used in the harsh environment of auto gearboxes, never fancied using in my CO2 guns with (presumably) rubber/composite seals.
    Like I said, don't know the answer - but would like to know the best way to keep them running for as long as my old Wobbleys!

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.