Thread: Webley Falcon information required

Webley Falcon information required

Can anyone help ? I am looking for the dimensions of the mainspring length and diameter and thickness of wire also dimensions for the breech washer.

Standard Webley mainspring. Ø3.25 wire x 32 coils. O/D approx. 19mmn x 235mm in length (when new).

Breech washer Ø8.6 I/D x 12.8 O/D.

Cheers
    Greg

Thanks for that , when you say standard were they all basically the same then? This is for a friend of mine who has just bought a new spring and he says its 250mm long so just trying to make sure he doesn't ruin his gun.

I can't answer the question posed but note that the mainspring database on here gives slightly different dimensions for the mainspring. This could well be because the first entry gave measurements from a used spring ... I don't know if this is correct or not, source was someone on this forum.
    As for the long spring mentioned ... what are the dimensions and the make. I ask because Titan springs tend to be a tad oversized anyway. A spring made from thinner wire may be fine if it is a bit longer than normal but I would not personally try to cram an oversize spring in the rifle. You may just end up with an oversprung rifle that is hard to cock and low on power. or maybe it won't cock because it is coil bound.
    Do you have the original spring that was in the rifle? If so, what are dimensions, wire thickness, od, coil number and length? Try to match all these apart from length (to allow for wear) and you should not go far wrong as a start.
    Cheers, Phil

Many thanks for that , I will ask my friend to measure the old one he had and also the new one he bought . I didn't realise there was a database on this site, you learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR1 View Post
    Many thanks for that , I will ask my friend to measure the old one he had and also the new one he bought . I didn't realise there was a database on this site, you learn something new everyday.
    Just had a look and it appears I have been rather lax in updating it. apologies. It is contained within another thread in the Useful Information section and I think it best if I post a new thread with the updated information I have. Your data is included.
    Cheers, Phil
    Could not start a new thread so put updated database on end of last one.
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 16-10-2020 at 08:36 PM.

This is the information my friend sent yesterday .

Thanks

The new and old springs are identical in some respects ie. No. of coils 31

0/d of coils 19.9mm
    I/d of coils 13.3mm

wire dia. 3.25mm

These figures are within 0.1 mm of both springs.

Length of old spring 195mm

Length of new spring 250mm

That is a big difference in length. It is quite usual for an old spring to lose length over time but a 55mm difference between old and new is a heck of a lot.
    You have not said what make the new spring is but I am now wondering if it is a Titan one, with a black coating and widely spaced coils. It will no doubt fit if your measurements are correct but I predict that compressing the extra 55mm will not be very easy. When the old spring was removed, does your friend recall home much preload there was; i.e. how much spring was sticking out the back of the cylinder that would have to be compressed to refit the trigger block?

If your friend has bought a Titan spring then I know from experience that they are usually overlength as bought and will need shortening. If this is the case then I suggest he/she tries the new spring for fit but if the pressure needed to fit it is excessive ... difficult to judge I know, then the spring is reduced in length to c 235 but even this maybe too long for comfort.
    Sorry not to be more precise but without seeing the rifle is is difficult to judge and, of course, my comments are offered in good faith but I am sorry but I cannot accept responsibility for the consequences of whatever action is taken.
    Did your friend chrono the rifle? The Falcon was nice but not a power house in modern terms. Maybe 8ft lb would be nice, possibly a little more in .22
    Cheers, Phil

My guess is a Titan No. 7?
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 17-10-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Have checked with him and he says there was no name on the bag but I think he said he got it from Chambers. He has decided now to cut it down to 235mm to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the help.