Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just in Webley Mark 1 Rifle

Just in Webley Mark 1 Rifle

Was excited to stag this piece of Webley History. Have been looking for a Webley Service on this side of the ocean for years actually saw one last month for $1600! which I let pass. This Mark 1 came up and the more I researched the more I wanted it. I could see it retained a lot of the original bluing but it needed some TLC. Rust spots to be removed and white paint on the stock. Spent a day carefully cleaning it making sure I retained all the originality. So many years of crud but underneath was a awesome rifle. This morning a final touch up and then fired pellets through it. No Chrony yet but it hit the backstop with authority! Ironically I received my Christopher Thrale book today. Great reading and it seems my example is a early one that seems not to follow all the rules. But his book contains many examples of this. I pictured my copy of the Stoeger 1934 Catalog where this rifle was advertised along with the New Mark 2 Service. This was the height of the depression and I’m sure there was old stock still on the selves? This gun may have come through them but hard to ever really know?

Here is the photo shoot:
    https://imgur.com/a/NmqeAlR

Handling this rifle you just feel the quality of materials and workmanship, probably second to none? My prewar Diana is right there as well. Finished better than the BSA Standards of the time but not quite as excellent a working rifle? Don’t underestimate the coolness of it being a short carbine, not appreciated in just pictures?

Look at the difference in the stock, no sanding just slow “loving” crud removal and wax.

Last edited by 45flint; 16-10-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Very nice. 326 in .22. That's not a recorded one and adds to the knowledge

Well the 45flint magic touch continues!

Nice example, with very clearly legible stamps. My guess is that this one has been refinished at some time in the past, but was in good shape to begin with, so the polishing hasn't harmed it.

As you said, the Mk1s are more scarce over here than the Mk2s. $1,600 is very steep indeed and you were dead right to steer clear!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lovely.
    You get the best stuff over there!

Well done mate, another excellent acquisition.
    I do like these, they seem more like a scaled up Webley MK1 pistol than the webley service does.

Let us know how she shoots.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Well the 45flint magic touch continues!

Nice example, with very clearly legible stamps. My guess is that this one has been refinished at some time in the past, but was in good shape to begin with, so the polishing hasn't harmed it.

As you said, the Mk1s are more scarce over here than the Mk2s. $1,600 is very steep indeed and you were dead right to steer clear!
    Interesting question because it does seem well polished but no clear evidence of reblue? It reminds me of the factory blue on my Webley Pistols? If you look in the Gallery #305 looks the same a few guns from my serial number. Of course his could be reblued as well?
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-10-2020 at 10:21 PM.

I don't think it has been refinished. The first things to suffer from polishing is usually the sight graduations and these look fairly crisp to me. It is a possibility that the finish was chemically stripped and a fresh one applied, but I doubt that.

it is indeed a very nice example

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting question because it does seem well polished but no clear evidence of reblue? It reminds me of the factory blue on my Webley Pistols? If you look in the Gallery #305 looks the same a few guns from my serial number. Of course his could be reblued as well?
    Yes, unlike yours, #305 was reblued over heavy corrosion. I know because I used to own it!

Yours is polished and darker than the original finish, I think but can't be certain without holding it. If you look at the rear sight, that looks dull blue and possibly original.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Lovely.
    You get the best stuff over there!

Well done mate, another excellent acquisition.
    I do like these, they seem more like a scaled up Webley MK1 pistol than the webley service does.

Let us know how she shoots.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Matt it reminds me of the Britannia almost the same length? 34” vs 35.5. And light barrel? I got to Chrony it and see what it does but in 22 should be 450 f p s. I think to be the best shooter it would be best in .177.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Yes, unlike yours, #305 was reblued over heavy corrosion. I know because I used to own it!

Yours is polished and darker than the original finish, I think but can't be certain without holding it. If you look at the rear sight, that looks dull blue and possibly original.
    I think you could be correct but looking at the roll markings there seems to be no loss of detail? Certainly well done. Was the original blue similar to the BSA Standard? My 1920’s BSA’s seem to be a little more duller gray blue? I’m used to the Webley polished finish of my Mark 3 rifle and Senior pistol. Just polished blued perfection.
    Last edited by 45flint; 17-10-2020 at 08:06 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    It is difficult to tell if is has had a reblue or not, but someone has had it apart due to the butchered screw heads and the nail marks on the cocking arms pin. but like Danny says the rear sight is a different colour blue which makes you think. but still a nice find all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    It is difficult to tell if is has had a reblue or not, but someone has had it apart due to the butchered screw heads and the nail marks on the cocking arms pin. but like Danny says the rear sight is a different colour blue which makes you think. but still a nice find all the same.
    I do think Danny’s got it but with this old a rifle you love them as you find them. Part of the journey and it’s a awesome shooter. England’s gift to the world were the Beatles and such unique vintage Airguns.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    My 1920’s BSA’s seem to be a little more duller gray blue?
    Yes, similar to the BSAs. But yours is a good find. Lovely clear markings.

Don't forget football (soccer), cricket, steam engines, English, etc etc
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Was in the basement yesterday shooting the Mark 1 at a target for the first time and it was consistently 2 inches high. In the morning was thinking how I could lower it. Well didn’t get all the crud out, the sight was set up 4 marks high. Lol pulled the sight cleaned it and the mounting area and down she comes. Before and after, love getting to know your gun.

It is really great to hear your enthusiasm for the hunt to find it, the care to clean and cherish it, and finally to shoot and enjoy it.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    It is really great to hear your enthusiasm for the hunt to find it, the care to clean and cherish it, and finally to shoot and enjoy it.
    Rich.
    Sights now dead on, fun little carbine. Improved the trigger quite a bit with the screw adjustment. (It was totally backed out) It’s is a hoot to bring back a old rifle to present better and shoot like it was intended. Best form of time travel. No this rifle would never be competition to the BSA Standard on the range (not sure any vintage rifle does) but it has its own charms.

Last edited by 45flint; 18-10-2020 at 01:16 PM.