Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to hold and pump a scoped Sharp Ace?

How to hold and pump a scoped Sharp Ace?

Ok gang, with thanks to Ped and Lawrie my project rifle is ready to be scoped and used.

Once I have attached my chosen scope how/where should I hold the Ace whilst pumping it up?

Don't want to strain the stock unduly!

Cheers Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Ok gang, with thanks to Ped and Lawrie my project rifle is ready to be scoped and used.

Once I have attached my chosen scope how/where should I hold the Ace whilst pumping it up?

Cheers Rich
    Over the years I have developed the strong view that a lot of things that can be fiddly or otherwise annoying to do standing up are much easier if you sit or kneel. E.g. unloading a tube magazine on a pump shotgun, or cocking powerful springers.

My technique for pumpers is to sit or take a knee in conventional fashion (left knee up, right down, for a right hander).

Hold the gun in front of you with the right hand side facing you.

Place the heel (top) of the butt in your left instep.

Place the palm of your left hand on the top of the barrel.

Use your right hand to operate the pump handle.

For the higher pumps, you can use pressure from both arms.

It works for me. Far better than trying standing up, either holding the scope (bad idea) or the pistol grip (poor leverage).

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Geezer guidance sounds compelling, but my simpler approach was to use sturdy (wide, double strap) mounts, and ensure I placed the heal of my hand on top of the scope mount, so the pressure went through it and not the scope.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi, this might help.
    On the photo is an unscoped Innova, but with a scope on your Ace you will probably still be able to hold the stock and the scope together in one hand.
    What I learned from this photo is to put the butt on my right upper leg, whilst bending my leg a bit. It makes pumping a lot easier. And never hold the wrist of the stock.

This is a photo of what I mean with my Victory

Cheers, Louis

Sharp Ace

Cheers Rich
    Many years ago I had an FAC Sharp Ace which required ten pumps. This probably isnt the approved procedure but I grabbed the pistol grip in one hand and the scope in the other and having quality mounts had no problems.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by POLO View Post
    Many years ago I had an FAC Sharp Ace which required ten pumps. This probably isnt the approved procedure but I grabbed the pistol grip in one hand and the scope in the other and having quality mounts had no problems.
    so what did you use to pump it - your leg ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I used to hold the pistol grip between both knees forend near pin with right hand and pump with left arm worked well and can use fingers on right hand to help

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will hopefully give it a try at the weekend now I have fitted a 4x40 Kassnar which seems to suit it.
    I have also reinstated the silencer and adapter it came with which does make it a long beast!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will hopefully give it a try at the weekend now I have fitted a 4x40 Kassnar which seems to suit it.
    I have also reinstated the silencer and adapter it came with which does make it a long beast!
    Sounds nice. Very eighties.

It certainly feels a lot easier to pump without a scope. As Louis photo shows you'll have to hold down on the scope, I've read pumping with one hand on the grip not only puts pressure on it but may also cause you to twist the pump arm.

Thumbs up

I used to grip the part of the stock where the thumb goes (whilst shooting) with my left hand and pump with my right but I only put three pumps in as it was fine for punching paper at 25 yards

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I used to grip the part of the stock where the thumb goes (whilst shooting) with my left hand and pump with my right but I only put three pumps in as it was fine for punching paper at 25 yards

John
    I was only planning on putting in 3 pumps myself.
    Rich.

I quickly learned that putting a scope on a "pumper" wasn't a good idea due to the difficulties in pumping the rifle up.
    The only scope I had any success with was one of those pistol type scopes (I think they're called "scout" scopes) with very long eye-relief -- even then it wasn't very satisfactory and I soon reverted to open/peep sights.

been there easer to go peep louis from holland got the sight mounts you sent me allan m
    millybot1

Quote Originally Posted by millybot1 View Post
    been there easer to go peep louis from holland got the sight mounts you sent me allan m
    millybot1
    Hi millybot1, I am very happy with the mounts, thank you again.
    They are a lot sturdier than the Sheridan one piece affair.
    Plus I think the Benjamin barrel is held on more securely, with the extra "cover" in the middle.
    Here is a photo prior to removing the peep sight. I agree, the gun is best with the peep, but I do like to use this Weaver B4 every now and then.
    Pumping gripping-the-scope-and-stock-style is still easy with this setup.
    Cheers, Louis