Thread: Todays plink - '50's(?) Diana 25 in .177 - power & age?

Todays plink - '50's(?) Diana 25 in .177 - power & age?

Bought this a while ago from a gent on this site. Was on the look out for a 27 .22 with 2 stage alloy trigger - like my first air rifle. None around at the time, but this looked in vgc. Bought it, but was a bit worried about the stiffness of the barrel latch. Had some good advice from AGBBS, but due to health issues did not do much shooting for a while.

The latch seems to have eased off, although can be a bit stiff on occasion. What did surprise me was the 'power' - punching thru both sides of a proper tin can (as opposed to a thin drink can) at 10 yards.

Wonder if a PO has put a powerful spring in, or this the normal performance?

Have read on the site it was common for post war 2 Milbro Diana's to be dated on the butt. This one is marked 56 S. The rear of the receiver has the huntress symbol, & made in Great Britain. There is also a serial no - .(possibly 2)51590 stamped on the l/h side of the breech.
    I'm thinking it is a Scottish Milbro, made in the 50's.

Any info gratefully received!

Thanks for all the advice on the barn door Premier Wobbley - have some time off soon, will be looking at a strip/service kit fitment.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Part the Second...

Had another plink with the 25 .177 today, this time using Hobby's at a measured 10 yards. Once the dieselling had cleared, was getting a (big) ragged hole. I don't claim to be a great shot, esp. with iron sights, but was pleased. The back stop was an old placcy bucket filled with stones, pellets were flattened against them.
    Is this power normal? or has a PO put a stronger spring in, do you reckon?

Thanks in advance

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

A post-war German M&G Diana 25, in either calibre, is usually just below 5.5 ft-lbs, which is the German 7.5 joule power limit. Sometimes a bit less (4.5-5) depending on the pellet.

I guess the Milbro ones should be similar, as it’s the same basic design, built on M&G’s pre-war machinery after it was transplanted to Scotland.

But it’s possible (I don’t know) that Milbro, not needing to stay under the “Freimark” 7.5J limit either put a stronger spring in, or increased the stroke a bit. Or something.

Or that the pre-war 25 was a bit more powerful than the post-war, and that M&G either changed the design a bit or otherwise slightly de-tuned it when the post-war 7.5J rule was introduced.

Either way, I’d be surprised if you could get much over 6 and a bit out of either, unless they were deiselling.

Any chance you can chrono it?

Smile

Hi, Geezer

Not yet got a chrono, am working on it. Seems more powerful than my other 'youth' rifles of the time (Webley Junior, Meteor), more like my later Falcon.
    TBH, am suprised at how 'pokey' it seems, hence my wondering if a larger spring has been fitted.
    Certainly seems more difficult to cock/hits harder than my old .22 27 - but I owned that 45 years ago, & memories play tricks!

ATB

Bru

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Hi, Geezer

Not yet got a chrono, am working on it. Seems more powerful than my other 'youth' rifles of the time (Webley Junior, Meteor), more like my later Falcon.
    TBH, am suprised at how 'pokey' it seems, hence my wondering if a larger spring has been fitted.
    Certainly seems more difficult to cock/hits harder than my old .22 27 - but I owned that 45 years ago, & memories play tricks!

ATB

Bru
    It should be markedly more powerful than the Junior, which was a badge-engineered Milbro Diana 22, and around 3-4 ft-lbs.

Meteors are more like 7-9. They do very well for their size, and Bowkett got them up to 11.something.

Falcons are a bit odd. From their size, you think they ought to make 8-9. But they often appear to be lower than that. Webley claimed 550 fps in .177” and 500 in .22”. The same as the later Hawk.

Which doesn’t make sense for either gun as with typical pellets of the day that would mean 5.5-6 ft-lbs in .177” and 8ish in .22”. For reference, they quoted 600 and 500 respectively for the Mk3.