Thread: Theory - Stoeger imported Webley guns with high polish blued finishes?

Theory - Stoeger imported Webley guns with high polish blued finishes?

Collecting prewar English Airguns in the US can be frustrating because not many of these early guns made it over here. Stoeger of New York seemed to favor Webley and was given exclusivity for a while. There is no question that Webley made some exclusives for them. My best example of this is a Stoeger marked 1934 straight grip Senior. Though some have doubted it there is little question in my mind it is original with high polish blued finish, white lettering, special etched trigger, wood checkered grips.

I just purchased a Webley Mark 1 which was in the same Stoeger’s catalog. It has a high polished blued finish which was questioned as to it originality. (Not naming names, Danny)Lol. At first blush I tended to agree because there is no question the ones in England don’t have this finish. Looking at the rifle, it just looks right to me? The wear patterns on the barrel where it was held to cock? The rolled etching perfect? Then I thought about my Stoeger Senior which is etched Stoeger. Got it out this morning and to me the color and finish are identical.

Though rebluing of both guns is certainly possible to some maybe the easy answer, to me it isn’t likely for the reasons below.

1. It would have to be a old rebluing on both guns given the wear patterns of the bluing on the cocking portion of the barrels.
    2. In the US not sure that many people here years ago that would go to the expense of this good a rebluing on a Airgun?
    3. Both guns are in extremely good condition, rolled lettering about perfect. They both needed a rebluing? There are few if any wear patterns on the metal?
    4. The polish and bluing on both guns seems identical. What would be the odds?

Here are pics of both guns together, the Senior’s bluing is in better condition:

https://imgur.com/a/9VLyViC
    Last edited by 45flint; 18-10-2020 at 06:07 PM.