Thread: Morning reading of Webley history and lessened learned be careful what guns you sell!

Morning reading of Webley history and lessened learned be careful what guns you sell!

Reading the history of the Webley Mark 1 Rifle today interesting it was developed at the same time as the Mark 2 Target pistol. They were the first of the Webley guns to use the bronze piston rings instead of leather. Basically the rifle was just a large version of the pistol. Love it retaining the same quirky rotating safety. I had acquired a near perfect Hoffman imported Mark 2 Target a couple years ago. Had it on my sale table for a number of Airgun Show, thankfully it never sold, or this historical grouping would have never happened. Be careful of what you sell you never know what will come along and make you regret it!

That's so true. I shudder at some of the sales I've made in the past, although they were always sold to raise badly needed cash.

When you're older and have a bit more disposable income, it's a no-brainer to keep nice airguns, whereas when you looked at them back then, collecting considerations didn't really figure.

With hindsight, I should have thought more about how hard it would be to replace them later, but when you're younger you think there will always be plenty of time in the future...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That's so true. I shudder at some of the sales I've made in the past, although they were always sold to raise badly needed cash.

When you're older and have a bit more disposable income, it's a no-brainer to keep nice airguns, whereas when you looked at them back then, collecting considerations didn't really figure.

With hindsight, I should have thought more about how hard it would be to replace them later, but when you're younger you think there will always be plenty of time in the future...
    I know where you are coming from Danny, as l did the same years ago with a WR concentric pistol that l swoped for some other guns, just because l didn't like the look of it to much at the time.

Attractive pair.

selling old collectables.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Attractive pair.
    I can also cringe when thinking of some of the guns i have sold over the years, realising now i should have kept a few of them. In recent sales at the Birmingham arms fairs i have sold items i wish i had kept including pellet tins etc. Also a new boxed B.S.A. RB2 AIRSPORTER in .25 cal.I wonder if any body on bbs bought that particular gun.It is not as if i needed the money.The other side to the story is the fact that the wife would be pulling her hair out at so many things to trip over.

A nice pairing of Webley goodies there 45flint. Not only regrets to selling air rifles, I wish I had never sold my old 1970 3 litre yellow Marcos - VCG 3H where are you? And my BSA Goldstar that had the single 500 cc engine replaced with an all alloy Triumph 500 cc twin cylinder Grand Prix engine, sold for £30 in 1970.....!!!

All the best...

I recently bought a Crosman Salesman Sample Case from the 1950’s. It held 4 rifles and two pistol. Much to my surprise I had already had 3 of the rifles that fit the case. Only problem I sold my perfect example of the early variant 180 a month earlier. Luckily I became friends with the buyer and he happily sold it back.

Sent him this pic, we both had a good laugh it was back home.

Last edited by 45flint; 20-10-2020 at 12:14 PM.

What a lovely find the case is, excellent condition for 70 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I know where you are coming from Danny, as l did the same years ago with a WR concentric pistol that l swoped for some other guns, just because l didn't like the look of it to much at the time.
    OMG Mick, I'm afraid that falls in the top 10 crimes against collecting airguns.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I recently bought a Crosman Salesman Sample Case from the 1950’s. It held 4 rifles and two pistol. Much to my surprise I had already had 3 of the rifles that fit the case. Only problem I sold my perfect example of the early variant 180 a month earlier. Luckily I became friends with the buyer and he happily sold it back.

That case is a historic artefact and should end up in a museum, Steve.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

That case is a historic artefact and should end up in a museum, Steve.
    Been fun trying to fill it. I had what I think is the last rifle bought 2 weeks ago and it got lost in the mail! Bummer. When I get it filled planning on doing a posting and Utube.

OMG Mick, I'm afraid that falls in the top 10 crimes against collecting airguns.
    Hi Danny you are so right, but we all make mistakes lol. hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post

Wow what a find, there can't be many of them about. if l was you l would buy a lottery ticket with the luck you are having at the moment.