Thread: Bsa mk5 Meteor

Bsa mk5 Meteor

I've seen people mentioning quad ring piston seals as fitted by John Bowkett, can anyone tell me where I can get some of these please? both for my Meteor and Airsporter?
    Thanks👍

Welcome to the forum.

An internet search will reveal many UK sources.

NickG, one of our master tuners, has extensive knowledge of these and may be the best person to ask re size / crush etc.

One of the problems likely encountered could well be less than perfect cylinders, though. Especially with the Meteor. Some tuners have had much success using the 25mm Weihrauch parachute synthetic seal in the Meteor. I have fond memories of shooting a superb example thus tuned by "Shed tuner". Hopefully he'll be along with details / link to a previous thread.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I serviced a mk5 a few years ago and having inspected the chamber fitted a vortek 26mm head and seal.
    The seal had to be sized to fit the one inch diameter chamber.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, will see what I can find and post the results👍

I didnt have much success with the quad ring, as mentioned the cylinder is generally not true enough. If you have access to lathe I would machine the dome off the face of the piston head and use the existing o ring as this compensates for the untrue cylinder. The reduction will increase power by around 2fpe in .22

I bought a job lot of meteor stuff including a cylinder that appeared to be new.
    One problem,the pressed steel item had no braze on the seam.