Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hw99 stripdown

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    This is a very sad tale. If you have the old spring, what is the size ... wire diameter, coil number, spring id and, if possible, length. This may give you an idea of how well the new spring(s) match. Titan springs nearly always need shortening from new but if supplied in a kit I would expect them to have been sized already (I say this never having bought a kit). HW spring guides are not always a good fit. I do not know the original one used in a 99 ... new type with nylon (?) tube and a steel end? With an original HW mainspring I would expect some preload with maybe max of 25mm from end of cylinder to outer face of guide? But I say this from ignorance as I have never fettled a 99. If there is a lot more then I would suspect the wrong spring ... a check with dimensions of the old one could help here.
    Whatever ... good luck, persevere and you will succeed.
    Cheers, Phil

This is what was in my HW99s

https://www.milidonis.gr/en/airgun-s...ring-guide-en/

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    That's what mine is but was a nice snug fit on the first spring that broke now is as loose as a woman of the night lol

I wouldn't want to use a spring with so many coils removed---the stiffness of the spring will be increased from the original spec and would suspect add to cocking effort and harshness. If you don't manage to salvage it, I would try to source a new standard spec spring. Or have a word with the guys doing the tuning kits.
    Did the gunsmith do the new spring and fitting at his own cost?

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    I wouldn't want to use a spring with so many coils removed---the stiffness of the spring will be increased from the original spec and would suspect add to cocking effort and harshness. If you don't manage to salvage it, I would try to source a new standard spec spring. Or have a word with the guys doing the tuning kits.
    Did the gunsmith do the new spring and fitting at his own cost?
    Yeah at his cost as it came with 3 month warranty. I'll see what I'm looking like at the end of the month I won't be working til into the new year now I don't think weather getting worse and my neck/shoulder will need to heal up before I start absailing dropping trees off rockfaces

I’ve just fitted a Welsh Willy kit to my 97
    It comes pre cut with fitted guides, so just a case of fitting.
    It was very close to the limit on my gun and once settled I ended up cutting half a coil off and dressing to bring down to 11.4ftlbs.
    TbT kits are good as well, just fitted a short stroke kit to the piston, feels nice on test firing but will need to try properly at the range when it opens again.
    I do fancy a 99:will,probably get one in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrb1 View Post
    I’ve just fitted a Welsh Willy kit to my 97
    It comes pre cut with fitted guides, so just a case of fitting.
    It was very close to the limit on my gun and once settled I ended up cutting half a coil off and dressing to bring down to 11.4ftlbs.
    TbT kits are good as well, just fitted a short stroke kit to the piston, feels nice on test firing but will need to try properly at the range when it opens again.
    I do fancy a 99:will,probably get one in the near future.
    They're good guns this is the only lemon I've had I've had 7 now and it's by far the worst but once I'm on my feet and don't have to watch the pennies I'll be sorting it out properly with tbt kit and maybe a cs500 stock but get it done ambi so the lad can grow into it ... That's my plan anyway but won't be in the near future

In case it helps other ticklers. Our scribbles say 5.5 calibre spring 207 mm x 20.3 x 3 wire x 25 total coils x 42/42 lb/inch rate.

Any progress?

Did you get it done under your 3 months warranty. Atb mick