Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hw99 stripdown

Hw99 stripdown

Right so the 99 seemed a bit flippy and touch twangy for what I thought acceptable compared to others I've had in the past. But if advice from the forum and YouTube I thought I'd give it a go cleaning and re greasing myself. Stripped the gun a doddle but what a mess sticky black grease everywhere spring fell apart dropping it out and piston deal looks like it's seen better days but may clean ? Can't attach pics for some reason either not sure why I can attatch them in the sales but not here ?
    Last edited by Kalibrgun; 20-10-2020 at 11:08 PM.

So, it was twangy (requiring the services of a properly fitting guide) and the spring and seal are needing replacing. So a kit is required.

Some very good ones out there which will improve things - any of the following will be good - V-Mach, SFS, Tinbum, Welsh Willy, wonkydonky, Vortek. Listed in no order of preference.

For what it costs, replace the breech seal too whilst you're at it and bear in mind that not all of the kits include the piston seal.

A good de-grease, check, gentle polish and fitting the kit with the correct amount of lube will result in a much more nicely mannered little rifle. You were getting good results beforehand; it'll be even better once correctly fettled.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, it was twangy (requiring the services of a properly fitting guide) and the spring and seal are needing replacing. So a kit is required.

Some very good ones out there which will improve things - any of the following will be good - V-Mach, SFS, Tinbum, Welsh Willy, wonkydonky, Vortek. Listed in no order of preference.

For what it costs, replace the breech seal too whilst you're at it and bear in mind that not all of the kits include the piston seal.

A good de-grease, check, gentle polish and fitting the kit with the correct amount of lube will result in a much more nicely mannered little rifle. You were getting good results beforehand; it'll be even better once correctly fettled.
    I still can get my head around how it was firing with a broken spring I wouldn't of thought it there was no twang just a bit jumpy

Just got back from the shop where I got the rifle he's ordered a new spring but is a titan they're the ones he will order nothing else so I've left the action and barrel with him and said I want the spring dressing properly and will need shortening. He's going to fit it all back together and set around 10.8-11 ftlb for me. I will be stripping it when it comes back to see what sort of job has been done but he's using the std guide and a slip washer so well see what it's like on return. From what I've read I think it's going to be a snappy little get

Not necessarily snappy, depending which of the Titans he uses and adjusts accordingly.

The standard HW synthetic guide is actually really, really good. A good and strong two-piece design. If it fits the selected spring properly, no need to look any further.

If he finishes the spring off properly, and with the slip washer, all might be very, very good. I'd still always prefer a top hat at the front end of the spring, giving more support and an extra bearing surface with a polished steel or synthetic washer ahead of it. These days a spring just doesn't seem properly dressed without one!

Although a lightweight, the 99 isn't obliged to be snappy. Indeed, in .22 they can shoot very demurely at close to legal limit power. With a correct set-up and running around 11 it should be extremely nice to shoot.

Enjoy once back; I'm sure you will.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Not necessarily snappy, depending which of the Titans he uses and adjusts accordingly.

The standard HW synthetic guide is actually really, really good. A good and strong two-piece design. If it fits the selected spring properly, no need to look any further.

If he finishes the spring off properly, and with the slip washer, all might be very, very good. I'd still always prefer a top hat at the front end of the spring, giving more support and an extra bearing surface with a polished steel or synthetic washer ahead of it. These days a spring just doesn't seem properly dressed without one!

Although a lightweight, the 99 isn't obliged to be snappy. Indeed, in .22 they can shoot very demurely at close to legal limit power. With a correct set-up and running around 11 it should be extremely nice to shoot.

Enjoy once back; I'm sure you will.
    It's a no1 spring that he had listed for the 99 if it's no good at least hes tried sorting it but I'm getting a kit off tinbum so will go the maxi kit with oem spring I enjoyed stripping it but know how to do it now so will have it apart again I want to mirror polish everything up and get it as sweet as poss. Even thinking of glided piston etc when the funds allow

Only 'cos you haven't mentioned it. Beware the windows in the tube for trigger block etc. They can wreak havoc on seal lip when refitting.
    A good smoothing of edges and consider thin sleeve to get the seal past them. Old film negative etc
    Granny, eggs, and all that

Which shop is it, Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Only 'cos you haven't mentioned it. Beware the windows in the tube for trigger block etc. They can wreak havoc on seal lip when refitting.
    A good smoothing of edges and consider thin sleeve to get the seal past them. Old film negative etc
    I'll bear it in mind I wondered that when looking at it good tip :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Which shop is it, Atb mick
    One at mirfield bud

I used him once never again, Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    I used him once never again, Atb mick
    Oh dear what did he do ?

Damaged the stock on a air ranger I had,but said he didn’t. Atb mick

Hw99 stripdown

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    This is the most important bit, i had an ongoing battle with my old bsa 635 magnum because i failed to notice a sharp burr on both sides of the cocking slot that was cutting two slits in the o ring everytime i fitted a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    This is the most important bit, i had an ongoing battle with my old bsa 635 magnum because i failed to notice a sharp burr on both sides of the cocking slot that was cutting two slits in the o ring everytime i fitted a new one.
    Been to pick it up he was inviting deliveries but the spring was on the counter he's fitting it at home and setting it at 10.6/10.7 for me so when it settles down should be 10.8/10.9 hopefully then get out off running and I should be happy ...... Doubt it there's always room for improvement haha