Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
This is a very sad tale. If you have the old spring, what is the size ... wire diameter, coil number, spring id and, if possible, length. This may give you an idea of how well the new spring(s) match. Titan springs nearly always need shortening from new but if supplied in a kit I would expect them to have been sized already (I say this never having bought a kit). HW spring guides are not always a good fit. I do not know the original one used in a 99 ... new type with nylon (?) tube and a steel end? With an original HW mainspring I would expect some preload with maybe max of 25mm from end of cylinder to outer face of guide? But I say this from ignorance as I have never fettled a 99. If there is a lot more then I would suspect the wrong spring ... a check with dimensions of the old one could help here.
Whatever ... good luck, persevere and you will succeed.
Cheers, Phil

I have a 2003 HW99S and the rear guide is nylon and a steel washer.

I got a konceptus kit from my mate and it had a HW spring in the kit . It was a good inch maybe a bit more than the old spring that I took out that was still in one piece with a slight bend.

I did put pics up here but I'm not sure on what thread.