Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hw99 stripdown

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you had one previously tuned by Shauny - why didn't you just get him to do this one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    If you had one previously tuned by Shauny - why didn't you just get him to do this one as well?
    Because funds are tight. I've no details for Shaun I got the last 99 already tuned. i took this one back to the gun shop it came from with a broken spring to be fixed but ended up being worse after he put a titan spring and the current spring he says is a hw one. But looking at how slack the spring guide is I really can't see it as a hw one to be honest.

Cani ask what you paid and is it new , also if you use shauny the man is a cahmp but i also had great service from tinbum to , but the guy that looked at my 99 when it was a dog even with tuning kit was wonkey and he got ti cocking nice and shooting ok but as the barrel was chopped it was hard to cock so i went for a bl4de shroud so easy to cock now .
    well mate if your selling at the right price wink wink

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    Cani ask what you paid and is it new , also if you use shauny the man is a cahmp but i also had great service from tinbum to , but the guy that looked at my 99 when it was a dog even with tuning kit was wonkey and he got ti cocking nice and shooting ok but as the barrel was chopped it was hard to cock so i went for a bl4de shroud so easy to cock now .
    well mate if your selling at the right price wink wink
    I've got 200 in the gun with a webley pro system silencer and nikko 3-9x50ir scope in going to try get it together tomorrow the spring seems 4" too long the full back block piece is stuck out the guide is about 15mm out the back of the gun from how it shot to start to what a dog I've ended up with its sickened me. Won't be using the shop again

Quote Originally Posted by Kalibrgun View Post
    I've got 200 in the gun with a webley pro system silencer and nikko 3-9x50ir scope in going to try get it together tomorrow the spring seems 4" too long the full back block piece is stuck out the guide is about 15mm out the back of the gun from how it shot to start to what a dog I've ended up with its sickened me. Won't be using the shop again
    I got my hw for £40 but sin ce have put a new stock on a bl4de shroud and a wonkey kit in it and then wonkey looked at it as was still a bugger gauling but sorted now , they are a lovely gun once messed with , have you got a dremel i used that and a diamond ball bur i got a large diamond bur put it in from the block end then put it in the dremel as it would not fit the cocking slot , i then use it on the low setting and ran it up and down the cocking slot then i used a 600grit polishing mop in the dremel again on low and polished the slot to near mirror , it is worth messing with it .
    i think i have some spare burs if you need any

Well had a couple of hours today trying to get it back together did the milk bottle piston sleeve and ended up collapsing coils til I could get it back together ended up at 7 coils so 6 1/2 off and collapsed the cut and and ground it flat and still had to get a pal to come put all his weight on the cylinder into a rubber bung to get it in shoots horrible twangy stiff and just not nice at all didn't even put the scope back on I get know I'm not going to like it

Holy cow you mean you collapsed 7 coil ,christ how long as the spring , i think i put a titan in mine and never cut it and i think wonkey never cut it .
    you might have to do some pictures .
    If i was you i would be going back to the shop and asking for money back , you only just brought it i know second hand but did he let you have a try in the shop before hand , was it this bad .
    best of luck

Can’t see him wanting to give you your money back, as you’ve taken it to bits. He’ll probably say it was perfect when it left the shop, that’s what he said about my stock. Atb mick

This is a very sad tale. If you have the old spring, what is the size ... wire diameter, coil number, spring id and, if possible, length. This may give you an idea of how well the new spring(s) match. Titan springs nearly always need shortening from new but if supplied in a kit I would expect them to have been sized already (I say this never having bought a kit). HW spring guides are not always a good fit. I do not know the original one used in a 99 ... new type with nylon (?) tube and a steel end? With an original HW mainspring I would expect some preload with maybe max of 25mm from end of cylinder to outer face of guide? But I say this from ignorance as I have never fettled a 99. If there is a lot more then I would suspect the wrong spring ... a check with dimensions of the old one could help here.
    Whatever ... good luck, persevere and you will succeed.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    This is a very sad tale. If you have the old spring, what is the size ... wire diameter, coil number, spring id and, if possible, length. This may give you an idea of how well the new spring(s) match. Titan springs nearly always need shortening from new but if supplied in a kit I would expect them to have been sized already (I say this never having bought a kit). HW spring guides are not always a good fit. I do not know the original one used in a 99 ... new type with nylon (?) tube and a steel end? With an original HW mainspring I would expect some preload with maybe max of 25mm from end of cylinder to outer face of guide? But I say this from ignorance as I have never fettled a 99. If there is a lot more then I would suspect the wrong spring ... a check with dimensions of the old one could help here.
    Cheers, Phil

I have a 2003 HW99S and the rear guide is nylon and a steel washer.

I got a konceptus kit from my mate and it had a HW spring in the kit . It was a good inch maybe a bit more than the old spring that I took out that was still in one piece with a slight bend.

I did put pics up here but I'm not sure on what thread.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalibrgun View Post
    Well had a couple of hours today trying to get it back together did the milk bottle piston sleeve and ended up collapsing coils til I could get it back together ended up at 7 coils so 6 1/2 off and collapsed the cut and and ground it flat and still had to get a pal to come put all his weight on the cylinder into a rubber bung to get it in shoots horrible twangy stiff and just not nice at all didn't even put the scope back on I get know I'm not going to like it
    Something doesn't add up here..
    Standard HW99 spring is 26 coils
    Uncut Titan #1 is 31 coils

Right got the gun together and is firing like a sack o sh*t I cut the coils off finished the spring ends and took all my pals body weight on a rubber bung to get the end located in. Shoots twangy as hel l but think this is down to the guide falling out with about 1.5/2mm of room around it. I've given up on it I'll let it sit in the cupboard til my shoulder/neck are right it's harder to cock than it was originally but nothing near as hard as the titan spring. Although he says it's a std hw spring that went in I don't think it's for the 99. And yes the guide is the whitish plastic one with metal washer at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Cheers, Phil
    The so called gunsmith at the shop kept the std spring of hat came out broken and the guide is the type you say plastic with the steel that's able to turn

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Can’t see him wanting to give you your money back, as you’ve taken it to bits. He’ll probably say it was perfect when it left the shop, that’s what he said about my stock. Atb mick
    The way things have gone with him i won't be going back there again and if I do it will be to put this rifle on the shelf and take whatever is on a he shelf put it in a gunslip and tell him in taking u for the inconveniences and hassle he's caused by what looks to me shoddy work and trying to do it on the cheap or not actually being arsed to do it right

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    Holy cow you mean you collapsed 7 coil ,christ how long as the spring , i think i put a titan in mine and never cut it and i think wonkey never cut it .
    you might have to do some pictures .
    If i was you i would be going back to the shop and asking for money back , you only just brought it i know second hand but did he let you have a try in the shop before hand , was it this bad .
    best of luck
    It shot fine to start no twang and smooth it I wanted to try give it a polish etc see if I could make it better. When I stripped it the spring was broken but the breaks were on the guide so couldn't tell when firing p. I then took it back to the shop waited over a week for him to fit the titan picked it up for home and was horrendous back it went where I waited over a week for a hw spring to be fitted and not much better and no he's nowhere to test guns out