Thread: Hw90

Hw90

Hi all,

Does anyone shoot the HW90 Gas Ram in .177? I am thinking of buying one in .177, I have a couple of questions:

I presume it’s a sealed gas ram system?

Can it be tuned, my 97 as a Vortek tune kit installed by Tony Burton?

Your advice is welcome, I just thought something different to my PCPs & HW97.

Cheers...

I have never owned or worked on one (must get one, one day) but I have shot them and know that nicely set up ones do shoot very, very nicely.

There won't be as much tuning entailed as a springer and different parts to try, but the system isn't a sealed for life one and the pressure can be tweaked to achieve the desired power / firing characteristics. I also seem to think that many remove the inertia weight inside the piston to give a more pleasant cycle.

Someone wth first hand knowledge will be along shortly.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    as Tony says, ram pressure is externally adjustable, and the ram can be easily depressurised, dismantled, and serviced if needed.
    the only tuning you can do is remove and throw the piston weight away (a good idea as it's too heavy) and polish the insides, change the seal if you want (but no real need).
    My .177 shoots nice and accurate, but the trigger is not as good as a rekord.

I bought it because it came to me at a good price as a bag of bits; I do like it, but I don't see any real advantage in 12FP mode over the spring powered equivilent (HW80), and the trigger is inferior. The firiing cycle I guess is a bit faster, slicker and smoother, but that could be easily addressed with a springer by regular tuning.

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Nicely summed up by one most definitely in the know.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I had an early hw90 tb version with a walnut stock in .177. Super accurate and snappy firing cycle. I think the Theoben ones were set up differently from current production models. Always regret selling it.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I had one many years ago, it was bloody heavy (about 12 pounds if I remember right with a scope) and it was a bit hard to cock but apart from that it wasn't too bad.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by mauser201 View Post
    I had an early hw90 tb version with a walnut stock in .177. Super accurate and snappy firing cycle. I think the Theoben ones were set up differently from current production models. Always regret selling it.
    I have a 90tb ut in. 22cal.lovely guns. Better trigger than my theoben olympus, sirocco, taunus. The ambi stock us a bonus also.

I've owned both calibres, removed the inertia weight in both. Found the .177 less pleasant to shoot and sold it. My older .22 sits in a cs stock and feels virtually recoil less to shoot. I believe the earlier 90s were made for sub 12fpe and had a shorter stroke, which may explain the better shot cycle. I'd choose it over a 80 all day long. I've serviced my 90 and it's never needed topping up in 3years. Very easy to strip, no boingy spring to deal with. I'd advise getting your own pump and connector. Find the trigger as good as rekord.