Thread: Are the breech seals of the Webley Mark 1 and Webley Service the same?

Are the breech seals of the Webley Mark 1 and Webley Service the same?

Can easily get a Mark 2 Webley Service breech seal. Measurements from vender seem similar? Keeps me from having to make one like the previous owner that is not sealing perfectly. Rings seem to still have good compression. Shooting fairly well as is but getting some breech leakage.
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-10-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Think I answered my own question, service is just a little over 1/2 inch. Pulled my seal it is 1/16 inch over 1/2 inch. Off to my leather scraps!

Can’t imagine how this multipart contraption leaks? Lol

Yup. 9/16" od x 3/16" thick with a 1/8" hole in the middle . I make them out of old 3/16" thick leather belts from charity shops. the originals were compressed fibre but leather does just as well. Punches those sizes are commonly available and cheap to buy.

If using wad punches to make washers, punch against the end grain of a block of wood or a lead block to help preserve the punches cutting edge

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Yup. 9/16" od x 3/16" thick with a 1/8" hole in the middle . I make them out of old 3/16" thick leather belts from charity shops. the originals were compressed fibre but leather does just as well. Punches those sizes are commonly available and cheap to buy.

If using wad punches to make washers, punch against the end grain of a block of wood or a lead block to help preserve the punches cutting edge
    Thanks, you are right leather punch’s are cheap, got a set on the way including 9/16 for $15.

Mk.11 Service breech washer should have a brass flanged insert as well.

I assume the piston rings are not the same as well?

Value of the forum, never made a breech seal for a Webley. The leather punches arrived yesterday and with some scrap leather punching perfect 9/16’s seals was a breeze. With a little fine tuning got a perfect seal. Cool to have totally brought back this old MK1 rifle. Always satisfying to have done a better job than the last guy!