Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What on earth is it?

What on earth is it?

Here's one I've not seen before. It's marked up as a ANON-SHAW 500 on one side of the breech block and FOREIGN on there other The rear sight is very like the basic Relum blade type and that's where any resemblance ends. The gun is quite small, an ideal boys gun, but is in .22 cal. It is a break barrel, the stock is similar to the Gamo Rangemaster. There is a trigger adjuster going straight into the end of the trigger block which is screwed into the spring chamber. Overall the gun is in tidy condition but appears to be quite agricultural in it's build. Ild love to download some images but the technology escapes me so if anyone wants to see it I'll have to email it to you.

Just send the pics to me, I host them for you.

================
    Frank
    frakor at quicknet.nl

Google suggests that “Anon-Shaw” were a 1960s London-based retailer of fishing tackle. Given the number even now of tackle shops that sell airguns, it’s quite possible that at some point they sold airguns under their own brand.

“FOREIGN” is in my experience usually encountered on 1950s/60s British imports of, er, foreign guns, often from Germany, used to try to avoid post-WW2 prejudice against buying goods marked as made by the former enemy.

Pics would be really helpful.

Most air rifles I have seen marked as foreign were Relums!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Most air rifles I have seen marked as foreign were Relums!
    And, with apologies for not being clearer above, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was indeed a Hungarian “Relum” of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Google suggests that “Anon-Shaw” were a 1960s London-based retailer of fishing tackle. Given the number even now of tackle shops that sell airguns, it’s quite possible that at some point they sold airguns under their own brand.

“FOREIGN” is in my experience usually encountered on 1950s/60s British imports of, er, foreign guns, often from Germany, used to try to avoid post-WW2 prejudice against buying goods marked as made by the former enemy.

Pics would be really helpful.

Until we adopted the EU standards in the early 1980s, British law states that imported guns must be marked 'Foreign' or some such marking as denotes their origin. The only exception to this rule was that of Germany. The law regarding Germany was specific in that all products from there had to be marked with their exact country of origin. The USA passed the same laws about the same time and they date from about the 1880s. Pre WWII German guns will be marked 'Made in Germany'. Post war guns will be marked either 'Made in West Germany' or 'Made in the GDR'

I very much doubt whether anyone has seen an official import German gun simply marked 'Foreign'

My experience is that a 'Foreign' marked gun from about the 1960s will be usually a Slavia or a Relum. Vary rarely Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Until we adopted the EU standards in the early 1980s, British law states that imported guns must be marked 'Foreign' or some such marking as denotes their origin. The only exception to this rule was that of Germany. The law regarding Germany was specific in that all products from there had to be marked with their exact country of origin. The USA passed the same laws about the same time and they date from about the 1880s. Pre WWII German guns will be marked 'Made in Germany'. Post war guns will be marked either 'Made in West Germany' or 'Made in the GDR'

I very much doubt whether anyone has seen an official import German gun simply marked 'Foreign'

My experience is that a 'Foreign' marked gun from about the 1960s will be usually a Slavia or a Relum. Vary rarely Spanish
    That I did not know. Thanks.

Though I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 50s German guns marked as “foreign”.

If so, perhaps that was before West Germany officially existed?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That I did not know. Thanks.

Though I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 50s German guns marked as “foreign”.

If so, perhaps that was before West Germany officially existed?
    Yes l have had German made airguns stamped with "foreign" on them.

Tell 3 - stamped FOREIGN

I have heard of 2 Tell 3 air pistols stamped "FOREIGN" on the underside of the barrel. According to my notes, it was on this forum in April 2012 there was a mention of a parkerized Tell 3 serial #4 that was stamped Foreign in this matter. It was also stamped made in Germany.

I also believe that 45flint's Tell 3, serial #169 is also stamped Foreign on the underside of the barrel. I have no record of any Haenel air pistols stamped FOREIGN.

. I very much doubt whether anyone has seen an official import German gun simply marked 'Foreign'
    My Mauser DSM 34 was a prewar import and is marked “foreign”. Not an air rifle admittedly

It is also marked deutsche sportwaffen so it’s fairly obvious where it was made !
    Morally flawed

It was British and US law for official imports to be marked as made in Germany. Remember there were private and unofficial imports . war bring backs etc. It is quite possible to find German guns so marked as Foreign, but they were not intended to be sold over the counter over here. All other countries were still to identify themselves but they were allowed to mark just 'Foreign or Foreign made if the items were clearly marked with the makers name or trademarks. Germany was the only exception.

If a source over here sold Foreign marked German items, they were grey imports.

The legislation involved is the ' Merchandising Marks Act of 1887' if anyone cares to investigate further. This legislation was only repealed in the early 1980s due to trade agreements we signed up to as part of the EU
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 24-10-2020 at 07:41 AM.

I have owned several dianas 1960/70s and a hw35 1977 marked made in germany,i don't think that the manufacturers recognised the gdr.
    Last edited by Beazley; 24-10-2020 at 10:14 AM.

edbear2 Guest
    I have an Anon Shaw branded 9ft Pike rod I use with and old Mitchell (my fishing kit is all 60's / 70's ...I just like the action of fibreglass)...On a fishing forum Anon Shaw are often discussed and as mentioned on here they were a short lived importer in the late 60's trading out of 62 Clarendon Road, Hornsey, London N8.

Their logo was a fish shape made from the letters as per item 124300014585 on "that" website.

Airguns and fishing tackle went hand in hand back then as now in sports shops. I don't know if the address above was also a retail shop, or just an importer's address unfortunately.

ATB, Ed

Anon-Shaw

Thanks for the offer of posting photos, Frank, but I'm selling the gun now and it's gone on trial.
    What a wealth of knowledge there is on this site. Many thanks to all who have commented and confirmed my suspicions. I too, found details of a supplier of fishing gear but there was no mention of air guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob W View Post
    Thanks for the offer of posting photos, Frank, but I'm selling the gun now and it's gone on trial.
    What a wealth of knowledge there is on this site. Many thanks to all who have commented and confirmed my suspicions. I too, found details of a supplier of fishing gear but there was no mention of air guns.

But the make and model hasn't been confirmed? we are nosy and would like closure. Pictures would be welcomed please