Thread: Theoben Fenman

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Theoben Fenman

Have a Theoben Fenman Gas Ram in 0.22. . Circa 1998 according to the serial number. Never been serviced as far as I am aware.
    Over the chrono it is running at 9.5ft lbs.

I have found it prefers RWS Superdomes 15.9 grains. 5.52mm head to JSB 15.9 grain with 5.50 head.
    Should I be trying a lighter pellet such as H&N at 14.6 grains but head size is 5.53.

At 15 yards (back garden) bench rested decent sub 1" groups.

My Questions to the forum
    Should I have it serviced or should I simply adopt the stance of "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it".
    Is 9.5 ft lbs acceptable & if serviced & increased to say 11 ft lbs will it be more accurate or simply more "twangy"

Thanks
    Al
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    It might just need a top up of air rather than a service.

Im a firm believer in only servicing air rifles when they are broke.
    Master Debater

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yup, as above..

however, if an air top up doesn't improve it, then time for a strip and relube
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Try JSB RS or Falcon accuracy plus. My Sirroco 2000 likes the JSB. As said above few pumps in the ram will probably soon sort power out but fine as is for the garden. Get the right pellet and it will be capable of pretty much sending them down the same hole at 15 yards.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Pellets are funny things. I was using JSB Exact RS's in my Impact RM100 .177, which gave 10.8fpe. Then I got a tin of RWS Superfields. Turned out to be just as accurate and returned 11.3fpe.

Another recommendation for JSB RS or Falcon AP as an alternate pellet to try. Perhaps a slight top up of air will benefit also to get the power up to 10.5 to 11ft.lb, I chrono'ed my .22 Sirocco this afternoon which is shooting really nicely and it was running at 10.5ft.lb. If it had been any lower I'd have probably have upped the power slightly.
    Regards,
    Dave.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    If it's just being used to shoot targets in the back garden then I'd leave it be, the lower power will help reduce recoil and it will be easier to cock as well, plus it will be safer just in case of any over penetration of backstops (unless you're using metal) or ricochets.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I agree, perfect for plinking, power does not necessarily mean more accuracy just improved flight curve.
    My taunts used to love Field Target Trophys.
    VAYA CON DIOS

My 1996 Fenman loves H & N Field Target Trophy -- nice and consistent at just over 11ftlbs.