Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springer shooting, what to buy?

Another vote for the 99, I had mine tuned by Shauny wish I still had it,Atb mick

What about a nice Mercury ?

Light weight etc .

At some point he needs to learn to shoot. Thats shoot not attached to a bench. He need to understand accuracy, which includes "lack of accuracy". Lack of accuracy when everything isn't perfect. Learning iron sights, poor triggers, unforgiving actions, the whole gambit. Oh and to shoot all positions, and especially standing unsupported.

You can't do that with a rifle thats too big and too heavy.

I suggest a break barrel for speed of shooting. Something with iron sights, or at least a low magnification scope. Loads of second hand good rifles to be had. Heck, taking one apart and "tuning" adds to the knowledge. Hit small things at close range with a BSA Mercury or Webley Vulcan and anything better is child's play. A FWB Sport does the training too. HW95? Theoben Fenman? A challenge is far more fun, and loads of pellets down range.

Ambi or left hand stock is a must. Its for him not you.

Buy second hand well and little lost when he knows what he wants next.

Its fun this shooting thing.

I'd go 99s as well with the caveat that they can be hard to cook. The plus side is that he'll build his muscle strength to help with the gardening

I've been coaching young people for several years and the 99s provides open sights options as well as scoped up. Its also more than capable of some pretty tight groups. I've regularly had 13/14 year olds dropping nockover targets at 50-55 yards.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

If I did get him a 99s what calibre should I get? I heard. 177s were a bit twangy. The reason I was looking at other options was he is spending more time out with his pals and girlfriends, so I will end up shooting it more than him as time goes on.
    Great advice again.
    Cheers

Hw95l

Get the HW95L and you both will be Happy Campers.

Look up on Ytube : AirGun Gear Show REVIEW: Weihrauch HW95L Field Pro - 100 Yard - Long Range Tins

Says it all.
    My fully custom tuned 95 .177 is a joy. Still a very light rifle and the shooter still has to do his stuff.

Break barrels just more fun, and get more shooting done over under levers. What flavour is your call. Just don't treat it as a benchrest rifle, just shoot it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    get a .177 - more pellets for your money.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    get a .177 - more pellets for your money.
    As above .177 ...and with a less loopy trajectory

Quote Originally Posted by Kalibrgun View Post
    99s hands down I've had most rifles and always end up buying another 99 I shoot let and even the older rh cheekpiece stocked guns are comfortable enough to shoot the newer ones are full on ambi of your ever over Wakefield way he's welcome to try it out
    Same here had them all over the years always go back to a 99s most accurate springer I've shot out of the box and can be carried all day.

I would say not a TX200. They are heavy and one of you will find the std stock very uncomfortable depending on whether you buy a right or left handed stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    I would suggest a HW95 rifle that will last him a very long time & this model can be shot left or right.

Yep HW 95 is correct answers as a rifle that will suit different sizes shapes and builds
    Just a thought (as I wore out part of my shoulder by shooting so much, especially springers) - take it easy your lad at 12 with heavy guns, or full power springer cocking
    A bit like no one says to a young carpet fitter don’t work too hard, think of your knees 👍
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    Get the HW95L and you both will be Happy Campers.
    Ideally in the best 20 cal 🙂
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Depends on what type of shooting your lad is tending to do?
    A HW77/HW 97 and TX are heavy, particularly for my type of shooting(walking round rough shooting on over shot ground).