Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer shooting, what to buy?

Springer shooting, what to buy?

Hi fellas, my lad who's 12 wants to take up springer shooting, he already shoots a BSA Goldstar and an R10 so he is used to a bit of weight. I was thinking of a hw97, a tx200 or an AA prosport. The problem is he's left handed and I'm right and I will use the rifle too. I know some of the various 97 stocks are ambidextrous but could he learn on a say right handed prosport? Cheers for any advice

Which ever you and your son decide on you could always get a ambi stock custom made or if you buy a right hander you could buy a left handed standard stock as spare

99s hands down I've had most rifles and always end up buying another 99 I shoot let and even the older rh cheekpiece stocked guns are comfortable enough to shoot the newer ones are full on ambi of your ever over Wakefield way he's welcome to try it out

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    note you will have to re-zero the rifle for each of you, as the POI will be markedly different. This holds true of different shooters and different holds regardless, but LH/RH difference will be very significant.

I think TX/HW97 are too heavy for a 12 year old, unless he is just benching. As above, HW99s is a good choice.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Walther LGU

I think that the Walther LGU stock is ambi; similar weight to HW97/TX200/Prosport.

IMO an under-rated under-lever (see what I did there?).

h j

My lads have both had a pop with my HW77, youngest is a big 7yr old and managed it fine for a nice little group at 16m, and then if I'm doing my bit it'll pack them really tight at 30m. Ambi stock too. Very heavy so not for a junior unless shooting it rested tho.
    http://imgur.com/a/WxTcz3R
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

I would definitely go for an ambi stock and let the lad continue to shoot left handed. He is what he is and if he's a dominant lefty the chances are he will be left eye dominant. Very important to consider when shooting both eyes open!!

HW95L ambidextrous

I would suggest a HW95 rifle that will last him a very long time & this model can be shot left or right.

Hi Lee and a very warm welcome.

Some good advice and recommendations above.

The old advice of giving a selection of rifles a try has never been more valid, especially with the difference in age (and size & strength?) and that you're "different handed". I don't know how easy it will be to get to a shop / range where you can try a few out in these times whilst keeping safe / keeping to guidelines?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Good morning,

I agree, 97K cracking rifle, the best under leaver and second to none, but heavy!

I would say the HW95K (.177 or .22), light, balanced, and deadly accurate, in my books the best break barrel around. It tunes so good too.

Cheers...

How about a hw57? Before I get struck down, i bought one for my lad around a similar age. Theres nothing worst than having to pass to dad to cock and load, the 57 is easy to cock and the cocking lever is returned straight away so much safer for obvious reasons. Great open sights so he can go old school. Ambi stock for you both. Found his very accurate with no breech issues. Similar weight to a 99.

Thanks for the advice gents, a lot to mull over but in no rush on tier 3 lockdown so nowhere to shoot at the moment. Stay safe and again thanks for the advice.
    Lee

I know maybe unpopular with purists but I would consider a Theoben Rammer.
    They make very good ambi stocks and have a really fast lock time so would be less sensitive to varying grips and stance of different shooters.
    Last edited by gsxrman; 25-10-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Get a simple break barrel with an ambi stock, simple to use by either left or right handed shooters.
    97 & tx both have a righty loading port.

Got to be a 99 for a 12 Yr old, or even a 30s if its just for targets. He can learn to shoot off hand and with open sights too. Will be able to shoot un aided which may not be the case with a 77/97/ TX etc
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer