Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading on the forum.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trading on the forum.

Is there anything to look out for in the trading section?
    Is it a safe area? How do people pay for goods?
    Anything I need to know?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    This forum is generally safe, I tend to buy from "known" members most. Usual caveats for distance buying apply though

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Is it a safe area? How do people pay for goods?
    Anything I need to know?
    It's about as safe a place to buy and also sell as you can get these days, I have bought, sold, swapped and gifted numerous items without a glitch. As above really, stick to established members and you will not go far wrong. Paypal or bank transfer are the two main ways to exchange monies or cash on collection if the item is close by.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    You won't be able to see the sales area until you have five posts. Can I suggest a quick squint at the rules is the first step. Boring as that sounds, it'll save you hassle in the long term.

Cheers

Dave
    Smell my cheese

ive had no issues with sales on here bothe buying and selling ,met some great members over the years

As above

Thanks for the good info.
    I know I won’t see the trade area yet but I will check the rules on trading when I’m allowed in.
    Cheers.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Do your homework so you have an understanding of the fair prices in the market, don't just assume it's a good/bad price, it's only worth what someone will buy it for. You probably have a better confidence of a smooth transaction with established members, as if they were scrotes they would have been found out a long time before getting into thousands of posts. This does not diminish the fact we have many older members with few posts, or newer members who have just not established themselves yet - but it's all food for thought.

Is it a safe area?
    As above, do what you can to limit your exposure. I've bought and sold quite a bit over the years on here and have only had one sale go totally sideways. Sometimes things just go wrong, all you can do is take reasonable precautions, especially as the price of items goes up. Try to get a feeling of the person, do they post trying to help people in the main forums, can you view the item or collect, do they respond to questions politely and helpfully? All worth considering.

How do people pay for goods?
    Typically I pay by PP or BT. I even pay like this on F2F transactions rather than carry over a grand to meet a stranger on some occasions, with todays technology you can see the money in your bank on your phone in seconds in 99% of the time. PP will not cover you for most things to do with guns as far as cover is concerned, so no point if using it for that in most cases, but there are exceptions, and I'm happy to use that method if people cover the fees on cheaper items - scamming can work both ways remember!

Anything I need to know?
    Do your research, know your budget, buying locally at a higher price can sometimes be safer than cheaper at a distance, communicate with the seller to get a feel of them, don't buy unless your comfortable with the transaction, know what your buying and ask for pictures, question anything your not 100% sure of before parting with any money. F2F is generally preferable for expensive items that may get damaged in the post or you want extra comfort with due to cost.

Once you have been around a bit you will know people you will send stuff to even before they have paid as you have dealt with them before.

No where is 100% safe, all you can do is make as much of an effort to limit your exposure to any issues

James
    Last edited by Jesim1; 15-12-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    There's no NEED to ask for payment as friends & family, however it's perfectly reasonable to ask for the Paypal fee to be covered by the buyer. It's not hugely expensive and, to be honest, I've found most buyers used F&F anyway when asked to cover the fee.

I think most folk on here are aware that there's zero 'protection' from PP when buying air guns & some related items. I've paid the F&F way many times without being asked, mainly because I check out the seller first. Common sense applies...
    So don't tell them they aren't psychic, simply refer to "buying an item" using PP

Personally if asked to pay F&F I'm more likely to add the 4% fee & pay as a sale, there's no reason for a genuine seller to object.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So don't tell them they aren't psychic, simply refer to "buying an item" using PP

Personally if asked to pay F&F I'm more likely to add the 4% fee & pay as a sale, there's no reason for a genuine seller to object.
    I don't tell them, I was just pointing out that most folk on here already KNOW there's no PP protection for our kit transactions.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Research the product.
    Research the price.
    Ask salient questions appropriate to the item.
    Checking a serial number with the maker can confirm age.... service history.... and other issues that may affect your decision.

If you can, try before buy but appreciate not always possible.

Get photos and video of the condition and in use if relevant.

I take pics BEFORE i pack, during packing and at post office. I take video too say if its a laser range finder... I run through the functions to show they are working.

I prefer signed for and I get proof of posting.

But from long standing members and look at their activity... do they have an interest in the sport and contribute or just flogging.

I prefer BT as you have to have name and account and transaction is recorded. PayPal is possibly the worst way to pay imho.

That isnt to say newer members will rip you off.. its a question of history tells you more and reduces getting ripped.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I prefer BT as you have to have name and account and transaction is recorded. PayPal is possibly the worst way to pay imho.

That isnt to say newer members will rip you off.. its a question of history tells you more and reduces getting ripped.
    Yes.... with the new EU payments legislation, when you are setting up a new payee via online banking, it will check to see if the name is correctly associated with the account number and sort code supplied, giving you at least confidence in the identity of whom you are paying.

Not saying it's foolproof, but it's a lot more trouble (and very illegal) for a fraudster (anybody) to open a bank account in a false name... and it makes them automatically guilty of fraud, whatever they do with it.

Having said which for low value items, especially with established members, I don't mind using PP if they prefer.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Lots of good info for new members like me.
    Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone.
    Enjoy it on here it's a great site,( lathe men welcome lol ) follow the rules and all will be ok.

Thanks everyone.
    At the end of the day, BigD, we rely on members using their common sense in the sales section which is why we have so few rules on selling.

The main rules, are no new items, clearly price an Item and observe sales etiquette, very rarely do the admin team have to get involved unless asked to do so.

So just jump in.

All the best Mick