Thread: Bent Scope Syndrome: is there a cure?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Bent Scope Syndrome: is there a cure?

You know how some people manage to drop their rifles or let them slide and fall over or are just plain clumsy? And the result is the scope objective takes a mighty buffet and bends it off centre? Is there a way to correct this? I thought maybe it would be the same as the Gerald Cardew barrel straightening process?

I’m hoping for a miracle Cure like pour boiling water on it and sacrifice a beef patty to a spaniel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You know how some people manage to drop their rifles or let them slide and fall over or are just plain clumsy? And the result is the scope objective takes a mighty buffet and bends it off centre? Is there a way to correct this? I thought maybe it would be the same as the Gerald Cardew barrel straightening process?

I’m hoping for a miracle Cure like pour boiling water on it and sacrifice a beef patty to a spaniel.

I bent the scope on my TX after I tripped over a Hedgehog one night at the AirArms meet at Quigley Hollow,
    I just adjusted the turrets the next day and carried on shooting.

I had thought that maybe I could straighten it out by mounting the scope on a scrap action and gently pushing a wedge between the ocular bell and the cylinder until it was straight.

I feel that I should confirm that the hedgehog wasn't harmed in this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Good to know
    Well someone was bound to ask, so I thought I'd get in first.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

I had thought that maybe I could straighten it out by mounting the scope on a scrap action and gently pushing a wedge between the ocular bell and the cylinder until it was straight

Thanks!

Two things

1. That gives me a good idea on how to fix it.... Attach to scrap action in sturdy mounts, rotate until greatest distortion is at top, then attach strong nylon webbing around both, twist webbing around spanner or similar under action and twist until scope is true ... or use some kind of G-cramp and be really careful aligning it to achieve same result.

2. May's of London gunshop used to also have a hedgehog refuge centre .. when you called the shop if the answerphone answered it gave one details. Aww, cute.

If it still works, use it.

If it’s a Leupold, send it back for fixing.

If it doesn’t work and isn’t a Leupold, burn it, throw it away, hit it with a hammer for fun, or sell it on E-Thing as a mint vintage original classic. “Probably Venom”.

In all cases save the turret caps. They come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

I bent the scope on my TX after I tripped over a Hedgehog one night at the AirArms meet at Quigley Hollow,
    I just adjusted the turrets the next day and carried on shooting.

I had thought that maybe I could straighten it out by mounting the scope on a scrap action and gently pushing a wedge between the ocular bell and the cylinder until it was straight.

Al, couldn't you just bend the barrel to match?

Mick - Glad to hear that Mr Hodgy Heg was okay.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

It’s a cute little Tasco 4x20 but in the 7/8” tube size with a German hunting ret. I bought it to get my mits on the even rarer 7/8” adjustable 1-piece mount from a well known second hand Airgun emporium, and as I bought it blind and no returns I couldn’t send the glass back. I’ve realised it will make a good companion for my old school HW25 mausgewehr. So as geezer suggests it’s going to be experimented on and it it doesn’t survive the realignment then ‘tant pis’ ... or maybe spares and repairs on the Bay. Apart from the downward droop it’s a nice wee sight. Just un-sightly.

You may have to pretension the scope in the direction you want it to go, then tap a block of wood with a mallet, the wood shaped to the scope tube. Or wherever the bend is.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

If you have a large blade screwdriver you can rest this on the lip of the objective. A swift tap with a mallet once on the handle of the screwdriver should provide enough of an indent to use it as a rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    You may have to pretension the scope in the direction you want it to go, then tap a block of wood with a mallet, the wood shaped to the scope tube. Or wherever the bend is.
    I never pass up an opportunity to be pretentious!