Thread: Mounts - Shims.

Mounts - Shims.

Hi all,

Put my Hawke mounts on my HW95, and they are a gnats cock too short, the x50 objectice end is just touching the gun!

Can I shim the mounts?, as if I go the next size up I will have to wind the elevation right down I would imagine.

Cheers...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    So long as you shim both mounts, it will have a negligible affect on elevation adjustments... say you move the mount up, by keeping it level at both ends, by 1mm... the pellet will now land 1mm low at your zero range. I challenge you to even notice
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

+1 for Shed tuner comment.

I had used all sorts of packing/shimming material until I can across this https://www.bsaguns.co.uk/optics/scope-setup.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    +1 for Shed tuner comment.

I had used all sorts of packing/shimming material until I can across this https://www.bsaguns.co.uk/optics/scope-setup.aspx
    I use foil like that, but never seen it documented before... just seems an obvious way of getting the feathered edge...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

hawke do inserts https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/mount-inserts-30mm.html . for both 1" and 30mm mounts . they are for raising one end I think but they may be used to raise both ends .

May not give much rising height though.

Have you done the 'eyes closed rifle mount' to know the correct height mount you require ?

Simple fact is that if your physical size, shape, hold dictate low mounts you might not be able to use a large objective scope
    Equally they might dictate you need higher mounts

Far too many people put how it looks, above how it fits.

HW95L & 50mm scope

Quote Originally Posted by Gaoler View Post
    Hi all,

Put my Hawke mounts on my HW95, and they are a gnats cock too short, the x50 objectice end is just touching the gun!

Can I shim the mounts?, as if I go the next size up I will have to wind the elevation right down I would imagine.

Cheers...
    My suggestion is to replace the medium rings with high rings for your 50mm scope. The Hawke medium rings, on my HW95, leave less that 1/8" clearance for the objective lens with the Hawke 44mm scope. The shims will not work IMHO as there will be expansion due to temp change also.

Bought new Hawke mounts, thanks everyone.

First time I have had a .177, all my rifles are .22, I normally zero at 28 yards what’s the best distance for a .177? Will be shooting rabbits & squizzers.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaoler View Post
    Bought new Hawke mounts, thanks everyone.

First time I have had a .177, all my rifles are .22, I normally zero at 28 yards what’s the best distance for a .177? Will be shooting rabbits & squizzers.

Cheers...
    30 yards is fine... you can download and paly with chairgun from Hawke's website.. input you scope height above bore, muzzle velocity etc and it's pretty accurate.

funny enough i had to shim the mounts on my 95k last week

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    30 yards is fine... you can download and paly with chairgun from Hawke's website.. input you scope height above bore, muzzle velocity etc and it's pretty accurate.
    35 yards works best for .177, that generally gives around a 20mm spread from 10 - 40 yards
    VAYA CON DIOS

Cut up a used shotgun cartridge to make thin shims.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I use foil like that, but never seen it documented before... just seems an obvious way of getting the feathered edge...
    It's the only shimming method that doesn't significantly reduce the diameter across the width of the mount you're shimming. 0.5mm in the bottom of the mount is 1mm off the diameter - and a possible crushed scope tube if the mounts are done up firmly enough to hold the scope, especially against springer recoil.

I know the OP only wanted and overall increase in height and fixed his problem with new mounts, but if there's a need to shim for elevation adjustment then it it soooo much better to get the adjustable mounts from Sportsmatch. Either ATP61 2-pc for 30mm scope tubes, or ATP65 2-pc or AOP55 1-pc for 1" scopes. No scope tube crushing or bending and a much firmer hold on the scope as the clamping area is across the full scope mount, not just at the front edge.

Jerry