Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer, softer, spring source

Longer, softer, spring source

A few informed comments recently about calming down springers with softer springs. The TX Mk3 spring is mentioned. So, where are these readily available and what other sources are there? I found some unscragged springs after a thread on here and they are very soft, but sizes are limited, so I'd welcome anyone else recommendations or experiences.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    When I have bought Maccari springs they seem to be softer than for example the V-Mach or Vortek offerings. You have to order from the USA but they usually arrive in 7-10 days. I bought one years ago for a BSF55, Maccari believes in 'spacing' springs, so unspaced the spring made about 7 fpe, with some washers to increase the pre-load it made 11.5.

If you send ARH an e-mail I am sure they will advise.

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...age/251488.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    A few informed comments recently about calming down springers with softer springs. The TX Mk3 spring is mentioned. So, where are these readily available and what other sources are there? I found some unscragged springs after a thread on here and they are very soft, but sizes are limited, so I'd welcome anyone else recommendations or experiences.
    TX springs available from knibbs , I have used NO 12 In a lot of my applications but recently the wire stock for them dried up and I had to source something else , my solution was to use the excellent spring data source on here , then purchase from sws schneider , they are a good company to deal with and springs are very competitively priced .

I have bought some HW95 export springs from SWS and they seem to fit the bill nicely. I have fitted one to a MK 2 sport as it was a snug fit on the guide and also to a 177 HW 80. The 80 had std stroke and gave power on the limit so I left it cocked over night which knocked it back a good foot pound plus, added a spacer washer to the guide and finished up with a nice shooting 80 without having to chop the spring.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

When Mike Wright and I wanted mainsprings made to our specification, the minimum order quantity was six springs, and the unit cost (including p&p) about nine quid - less than the price of a markedly less than optimum aftermarket spring at the time.

If you're absolutely sure about the specification you need, trying to organise a group buy might be in order.

Splendid idea, Jim.

How about it, peeps?

I suppose a "one size fits all" due to the particular characteristics different people / guns would require or need would be tricky. But maybe one that would suit a good variety of many of our favourite springers.....TX, LGV, LGU, 77, 95. 97 and 98 might be okay. Produced at a length to suit the longest requirement with just a little shortening to suit other applications?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

If someone else was kind enough to sort the logistics out i.e. where from, spring spec (wire diameter, od, coil spacing and potential use) and cost then I would be interested.
    The Tx200 Mk3 spring is often quoted as a good spring with many uses so maybe that is the spec to go for?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Splendid idea, Jim.

How about it, peeps?

I suppose a "one size fits all" due to the particular characteristics different people / guns would require or need would be tricky. But maybe one that would suit a good variety of many of our favourite springers.....TX, LGV, LGU, 77, 95. 97 and 98 might be okay. Produced at a length to suit the longest requirement with just a little shortening to suit other applications?
    TBH Tony, that was my thought train. For the 95/98 platform you'd need 13.6mm i/d and for the hw77/97 and possibly cross over to HW80/35 with 14.3mm.

One spring cut to varied length won't be near optimal for a range of springers, I'm afraid, chaps. Every mm of reduction in length will make the spring stiffer, for a start.

I was thinking more along the lines of several owners of one particular rifle (and calibre) perhaps looking at the factory spring specification and deciding how you wanted to alter the shot cycle, then altering the spring specification to achieve that. If it just happened to suit another rifle that would be a bonus.

You'd have to do some sums to make sure it would work before placing the order, though.

You are, of course, quite correct, sir, and I was going to add the shortening caveat in there. Best coming straight from The Master, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I think therein lies the rub; if you only work on your own air rifles, specifying and sourcing your own springs is not really realistic. Ideally I'd look for a recognised source with a known level of performance (tx mk3 for example in LGV and LGU's) or some of the commercial tuners springs (SFS springs have been quoted and Wonkey Donkey spec' springs also get mentioned).

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I think therein lies the rub; if you only work on your own air rifles, specifying and sourcing your own springs is not really realistic. Ideally I'd look for a recognised source with a known level of performance (tx mk3 for example in LGV and LGU's) or some of the commercial tuners springs (SFS springs have been quoted and Wonkey Donkey spec' springs also get mentioned).
    There is another way. If you know what outside diameter, wire thickness, pitch and free length you want, look for an aftermarket spring that matches the first three criteria (outside diameter, wire thickness and pitch) but is longer, get one and cut it down to length, and test.

If it does what you want, publish the data, and others with the same rifle can either do the same, or club together and have a batch made.

My own thought process was that if there was a group buy on e.g TX200 Mk3 springs that were the same spec as manufacturer's spec then I would be interested if the price was right. I believe the manufacturer's springs are c. £20 each from the recognised sources (plus p/p/) so if the cost of the bespoke springs was significantly less (Jim mentioned about £6 each) then I would happily take 3 or 4 or maybe more depending on price and how many were needed to be ordered to make the project viable. I would also happily take springs 'unfinished' so long as finishing i.e. compressing/flattening the end coils produced a spring of the same length as original. I would not complain to having springs a little over length as they could easily be cut down.
    Cheers, phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    ...I would also happily take springs 'unfinished' so long as finishing i.e. compressing/flattening the end coils produced a spring of the same length as original.
    I'm not sure whether a manufacturer could properly scrag (set to length) a spring with open end coils, Phil. If not, you'd have to start with a free length in the region of 25% longer than the scragged free length, finish the end coils, then scrag it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I'm not sure whether a manufacturer could properly scrag (set to length) a spring with open end coils, Phil. If not, you'd have to start with a free length in the region of 25% longer than the scragged free length, finish the end coils, then scrag it yourself.
    Thanks, I did not know that. So .. no problem now that I know. Must admit I have not scragged before ( sheltered youth) but it will not be any more scary than setting the rear forks on a cycle frame to accept various block spacings ... now that is scary as you see the forks bend outwards ....

Cheers, Phil