Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longer, softer, spring source

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thanks, I did not know that. So .. no problem now that I know. Must admit I have not scragged before ( sheltered youth)
    Cheers, Phil
    Well, putting it that way makes scragging sound like a very naughty pursuit!

It makes boinging sound like a very innocent affair in comparison.

BOING!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    You are, of course, quite correct, sir, and I was going to add the shortening caveat in there. Best coming straight from The Master, though.
    It was quite clear from what Jim said what was needed,

If you're absolutely sure about the specification you need

which obviously means a particular wire thickness, number of coils, length etc ... but then everyone starts firing off contradictory stuff. I'm surprised he bothers posting since NO ONE LISTENS TO HIM.

Is this part of the corrosive thing whereby opinions are the same as facts and we disregard experts because my opinion is as valid as anyone else's therefore we are all experts swimming in a sea of alternative facts?

If you want a nice smooth action, just cut some bath sponge and stuff it in behind the piston and the back block in leiu of a spring. Beautiful smooth almost recoilless action. Pellet stays where it is, but you know, saves money on ammo.

Guessing this saves on lube too, Alistair?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Well, as it was my day off yesterday, I got the opportunity to do some digging on the technicalities of different grades of bath sponge. I went round all of the local supermarkets and managed to speak to the various "experts" on the matter, but there didn't seem to be any general consensus on which types give the most favoured characteristics.

I did manage to have a bit of a read of AGW, though, and Jim's excellent article.

Springs

I think there is someone on a certain internet auction site selling softer air rifle springs item number 363146687162 Not sure if it is what you are looking for but may be worth a look
    Regards Bill

Try a Titan No 10. Works really well at 12ftlb.

Try the original HW97 spring. It's my favourite spring, nice n soft.