Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibly the 2 rarest US CO2 pistol variants together

Possibly the 2 rarest US CO2 pistol variants together

These two CO2 pistols could possibly be the rarest variants from each company. The Crosman Sears JC Higgins first variant was short lived but sported a unique gray krinkle paint job and gray spacer. The Benjamin 2620 was short lived as well and was their “Rocket” Pistol with a 20 shot magazine on top. Only shot 22 caliber round balls, which was probably its downfall. Also Benjamin continued used the smaller 8 gram CO2 cartridges. Got to love the stacking of three tubes. Both pistols came out in the 1950’s

Last edited by 45flint; 24-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.

A nice pair indeed

I was a confirmed spring powered air pistol user until I had the chance to shoot a Crosman 150 which changed my attitude altogether, particularly in .22 calibre pistols.
    I now have quite a few from Crosman, Benjamin and Schimel including the S/A versions of the Crosman (600) and Benjamin (422) which are great fun to shoot if not as accurate as the single shot pistols. These pistols are also very economic to run with a single CO2 capsule easily providing an evenings entertainment at the range. I guess the only downside is that they feel a bit lifeless in the hand lacking the recoil characteristics of the springers, but this does help with accuracy.
    A bonus for me is the loud crack which often accompanies their use which only adds to the overall experience.
    Brian

I've got a single shot Rocket in its bright yellow box.
    177 very pellet fussy.
    Also leaks and my fixing friends can't stop it

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I've got a single shot Rocket in its bright yellow box.
    177 very pellet fussy.
    Also leaks and my fixing friends can't stop it
    For reliability and ease of repair hard to beat the Crosman 150.

I agree
    Benjamins are a bit annoying
    And attractive!

Looking at the two the Benjamin had to be more expensive to produce? The Crosman you can tell was engineered for more simplicity and cost savings. Benjamin has a brass tube connecting the tube to the barrel, Crosman plastic. Benjamin seems a little more quirky which to be honest is endearing. Still performs very well and hits hard.

Thé crosman I like a lot

I’m trying to like the Benjamin but the best I can do at the moment is “interesting “ I felt the same about the 422 when I saw one at Kempton, plus of course the other issues with the 422
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Thé crosman I like a lot

I’m trying to like the Benjamin but the best I can do at the moment is “interesting “ I felt the same about the 422 when I saw one at Kempton, plus of course the other issues with the 422
    Hi Jerry,
    My Crosman 150.

The Benjamin 422 semi-auto is not nearly as well engineered or reliable as the Crosman 600, but in my opinion looks better and either works or it doesn't. The pellet feeding mechanism relies on three different size rubber O rings which inevitably wear resulting in multiple discharges. The Drulov Condor uses a similar pellet feeding method but replaces the rubber O rings with metal ones and works just fine.

Brian

A 150 is definitely on my to get list because of its historical significance. Yours is a cracker.

I just can’t get interested in the Benjamin. I’m working my way through the 60s crosmans, which imho was their golden decade with brilliant designs and very attractive and well made pistols, and the Benjamin just doesn’t fit into any collecting category for me. Not sure if that makes sense.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    A 150 is definitely on my to get list because of its historical significance. Yours is a cracker.

I just can’t get interested in the Benjamin. I’m working my way through the 60s crosmans, which imho was their golden decade with brilliant designs and very attractive and well made pistols, and the Benjamin just doesn’t fit into any collecting category for me. Not sure if that makes sense.
    If I were choosing the best CO2 pistols from their golden era, it would be the Crosman products for sure, but I believe other manufacturers such as Benjamin and Schimel also have a place in the history and development of these CO2 pistols which justifies them in any collection.
    As I'm sure you are already aware, for a period these pistols could only be held on FAC in the UK which limited their popularity and prevented any UK interest in developing a home grown product. Although they will always be secondary to spring powered air pistols for me, they represent something different and provide superior accuracy particularly in the .22 calibre.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    If I were choosing the best CO2 pistols from their golden era, it would be the Crosman products for sure, but I believe other manufacturers such as Benjamin and Schimel also have a place in the history and development of these CO2 pistols which justifies them in any collection.
    As I'm sure you are already aware, for a period these pistols could only be held on FAC in the UK which limited their popularity and prevented any UK interest in developing a home grown product. Although they will always be secondary to spring powered air pistols for me, they represent something different and provide superior accuracy particularly in the .22 calibre.

Brian
    Yes, until a few years ago I had no interest in them, a combination of preferring older british spring pistols and semi assuming because the 2240 is nasty they would all have been nasty. Then I got either a one of the 38s or a mk1 (can’t remember the order) and began a reappraisal

And then the rifles
    Morally flawed

There is little question that the Crosman 150 was the best engineered CO2 of the Golden Era 1950-60’s but Benjamin had a reliable good looking compact modern type CO2 pistol the 250 in 1952 two years before the Crosman 150. Yes, Crosman with the 150 took the lead in 1954 and never looked back. The Rocket was Benjamin trying to compete with the 150 in 1956. They weren’t better, but you could argue they had nice machining and a better machined bolt system than the cheaper sliding bolt cover of Crosman. But collecting joy often comes from the guns that were a little odd and short lived. The 2620 was such a beast as well as the much later 422 in 1969. The 20 shot loading mechanism is unique and would not be surpassed until Crosman’s 600 which obviously is a “classic”. But classic means they made a lot of them and they are not rare at all. A major collector of Benjamin Guns said to me on another forum that this 2620 was the first one he has seen for sale in 15 years looking. He only has one a serial number 200 from mine. Lastly I have a 600 and the downside is it’s too is a little odd looking, heavy, large, die cast and very complicated.

Holding a Crosman 150 with grip panels like the one below feels perfect in the hand!

Last edited by 45flint; 24-10-2020 at 08:13 PM.

[QUOTE=45flint;7942441]There is little question that the Crosman 150 was the best engineered CO2 of the Golden Era 1950-60’s but Benjamin had a reliable good looking compact modern type CO2 pistol the 250 in 1952 two years before the Crosman 150. Yes, Crosman with the 150 took the lead in 1954 and never looked back. The Rocket was Benjamin trying to compete with the 150 in 1956.

I was a bit worried when I bought this Benjamin 150 as it appeared that it was intended for .177 BBs, but thankfully it quite happily shoots .177 pellets with no problems. Although the larger CO2 capsules are more readily available, you can still get the smaller ones from home brew shops etc.

Brian

[QUOTE=Abasmajor;7942464]
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    There is little question that the Crosman 150 was the best engineered CO2 of the Golden Era 1950-60’s but Benjamin had a reliable good looking compact modern type CO2 pistol the 250 in 1952 two years before the Crosman 150. Yes, Crosman with the 150 took the lead in 1954 and never looked back. The Rocket was Benjamin trying to compete with the 150 in 1956.

I was a bit worried when I bought this Benjamin 150 as it appeared that it was intended for .177 BBs, but thankfully it quite happily shoots .177 pellets with no problems. Although the larger CO2 capsules are more readily available, you can still get the smaller ones from home brew shops etc.

Brian
    Brian what a nice example! I’ve been looking for a nice 252 which was rifled for 22, they are so compact and clean looking. One that clean is very hard to find. These are not rare but most have no finish left at all. I don’t think Benjamin’s finish was very durable, they were all brass guns I believe.
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-10-2020 at 09:16 PM.