Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibly the 2 rarest US CO2 pistol variants together

[QUOTE=Abasmajor;7942464]
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    There is little question that the Crosman 150 was the best engineered CO2 of the Golden Era 1950-60’s but Benjamin had a reliable good looking compact modern type CO2 pistol the 250 in 1952 two years before the Crosman 150. Yes, Crosman with the 150 took the lead in 1954 and never looked back. The Rocket was Benjamin trying to compete with the 150 in 1956.

I was a bit worried when I bought this Benjamin 150 as it appeared that it was intended for .177 BBs, but thankfully it quite happily shoots .177 pellets with no problems. Although the larger CO2 capsules are more readily available, you can still get the smaller ones from home brew shops etc.

Brian
    I’ve always liked the compactness and look of those Benjis. Very nice.

I find the Benjamin Rocket one of the hardest CO2 pistols to keep leak free due to the way it is designed and assembled. Lawrie Amatruda repairs the Benjamin 422 semi autos and says the choice of O rings is the main criteria to get the feed mechanism working correctly.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

That's mine
    Which for a short period behaved itself

But now leaks between the barrel and tube where you can see the silver coloured bit joining.

Even when working it seems to be designed for very short pellets more like the slugs we had as kids.

I had a lot of fun yesterday firing the 2620 and loading in 22 balls through its gravity feed magazine. It is a very accurate pistol with a lot of pop. Your comments on reliability make me question whether I should just put it away as a rare collectible or just enjoy it. Always the question with CO2’s especially for me. Think I’ll ask my trusted repair guy his experience sealing these. Part of the joy of collecting is shooting them. The genius of Crosman was simplicity and thus easier reseal.
    Last edited by 45flint; 25-10-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I find the Benjamin Rocket one of the hardest CO2 pistols to keep leak free due to the way it is designed and assembled. Lawrie Amatruda repairs the Benjamin 422 semi autos and says the choice of O rings is the main criteria to get the feed mechanism working correctly.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Have you ever owned a Schimel Model GP-22 CO-2? These have to take the prize for reseal nightmare? You need to make a Utube on stripping the Rocket, very little out there on this? I assume the long scissor tool removes the C ring? Then does the valve come out?

Asking Baz if he has Schimels is a bear in the woods question

Have you ever owned a Schimel Model GP-22 CO-2? These have to take the prize for reseal nightmare? You need to make a Utube on stripping the Rocket, very little out there on this? I assume the long scissor tool removes the C ring? Then does the valve come out?
    Or the crosman 451? When I got mine I gingerly put a few capsules through it and it’s been a drawer queen ever since. I gather even lawrie won’t work on them.
    Morally flawed

I believe the Schimel GP-22 was the first commercially produced pistol to use self contained CO2 capsules as the power source. It's a pity there wasn't sufficient time during the relatively short production period to fully develop the design. One of the main issues for the first time user is to forget to push the little reset button forward both on initial charging and prior to operating the charging lever for each subsequent shot resulting in the complete discharge of the CO2 capsule. It would have been nice to have had some sort of linkage between the charging lever and the reset catch to prevent this happening. The early production materials were also a bit fragile, but still rugged enough for regular use with reasonable care. I came across this leaflet suggesting that an air powered variant (AP-22) was made available, but have never seen or heard of an actual example coming to light in the UK anyway.

I have a nice boxed GP-22 which shoots well and provides a nice Luger like action to open the breech and insert the pellet.

Every home should have one.

Brian

I had a lot of fun yesterday firing the 2620 and loading in 22 balls through its gravity feed magazine. It is a very accurate pistol with a lot of pop. Your comments on reliability make me question whether I should just put it away as a rare collectible or just enjoy it. Always the question with CO2’s especially for me. Think I’ll ask my trusted repair guy his experience sealing these. Part of the joy of collecting is shooting them. The genius of Crosman was simplicity and thus easier reseal.
    It has a very similar appearance to the back end of my "Benjamin 100 shot bb" rifle. Of course, it's .22 and may differ significantly but as I recall I didn't find much difficulty in sealing between receiver and barrel on the rifle.
    Atb Mark

These two CO2 pistols could possibly be the rarest variants from each company. The Crosman Sears JC Higgins first variant was short lived but sported a unique gray krinkle paint job and gray spacer. The Benjamin 2620 was short lived as well and was their “Rocket” Pistol with a 20 shot magazine on top. Only shot 22 caliber round balls, which was probably its downfall. Also Benjamin continued used the smaller 8 gram CO2 cartridges. Got to love the stacking of three tubes. Both pistols came out in the 1950’s

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

After the circlip is removed deep down the tube of the single shot Rocket, you can be lucky and get the valve to slide out with a knock. The problem is removing the O ring right at the far end of the tube as it is usually stuck fast and gummy. Lawrie uses an aluminium tube with a saw tooth edge to clean out the old O ring. Apparently in the early days Benjamin supplied you with two O rings for the cylinder cap as the material they used expanded with exposure to the CO2 gas and you could not screw the cap back in after fitting a new capsule. They instructed you to fit a new O ring and put the old one to one side until it returned to size after evaporation of the gas so it could be reused. We think the wrong quality O ring was also used for the very back seal which causes it to get all gummy over time.
    The Schimel is not a difficult pistol to re-seal. People make a couple of mistakes in assembly which cause them to leak. The chamber cup seals are the same in all of them but there are 4 design differences in the capsule valve unit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have resealed many Schimels over the years, I did one just last week, they are very easy to do if you you know how, and like Baz said there are 2 seals that are standard, but I have to make one or the internal seals, other than that no problem, I have had a couple of mishaps due to the fragile metal that was used in the manufacture, but when working they are great pistols.
    Cheers,
    Lawrie.

Service articles

I'd just like to point out that there have been some great illustrated articles dealing with the service of CO2 pistols in AIRGUN HOBBYIST magazine.

I traded my Schimels to Baz
    He understands them
    To be honest I found them a bit scary

I had one that fired as you compressed the lever

I prefer the Challenger Arms Plainsman which is a straightforward Big Bang Classic pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    I'd just like to point out that there have been some great illustrated articles dealing with the service of CO2 pistols in AIRGUN HOBBYIST magazine.
    Trev this magazine seems to be available only in hard copy (ie. paper) for £45 for 4 issues.

Is that right or do they have a digital version too like Airgun World/Air Gunner (£20 for 12 issues + 10-year archive)?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.