Thread: Non lead pellets

Non lead pellets

How do these fare against knock down targets, do they ricochet?? I'm sure they will do the job but if they ricochet then that is surely not safe?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    i think ricochet is the maybe the less common occurence... if you hit them square on, they can't really glance off (which is how I define a ricochet) - although I guess if you hit an edge they could... hmm, just contradicted myself there...

But do they bounce back to some extent ? Or damage the target ? I'd be curious to know too..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

H&N FTT Green (top) and JSB Exact (bottom) against an HFT target (.22, 12 ft lbs)

Last edited by bill57; 02-11-2020 at 07:16 PM.

how far back from the target were the H&Ns recovered bill ? Looks like they took a decent amount of deformity though...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Can't really say. I had the target in a cardboard box, shooting through a hole cut in the front of it to make sure I found the pellets afterwards.

I've heard the ricochet argument bandied about at HFT meets (which is why I did the test), but (in my opinion of course), it's just so that they can ban them, because it might give some shooters a perceived advantage.

OK, thanks... looking at that amount of deformity though, whilst it's obviously much less than lead, it's also obvious that it's going to soak up a lot of energy...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    i think ricochet is the maybe the less common occurrence ... if you hit them square on, they can't really glance off (which is how I define a ricochet) - although I guess if you hit an edge they could... hmm, just contradicted myself there...

But do they bounce back to some extent ? Or damage the target ? I'd be curious to know too..
    A ricochet is ANY direction from the target whether it be a few degrees, 90 degrees or back at ya baby.

The only exception is if it stays in the target (even then it can do a 90 degree internally) or is a shoot through...... and that can be at an another angle so arguably a ricochet still.....

I dont think any of the non lead can match lead.... its just such a good medium for an air rifleman's purpose.

But TBH, times are a changing and new technology inevitably prevails or at least, comes close.

Personally, with all its faults, I will miss lead projectiles and hope I dont miss....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    H&N FTT Green (top) and JSB Exact (bottom) against an HFT target (.22, 12 ft lbs)

Good info there fella, thanks for posting.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer