Thread: Webley hurricane valuation

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?

Webley hurricane valuation

Guys can anyone give me a valuation on these please
    I have a .22 version and .177 version both owned by me from new.
    Bought in 2004 put in plastic cases and forgotten about, both with telescopic sight mounts.
    They were test fired and put away so they are both immaculate.
    Cheers
    Pete.
    https://i.imgur.com/GeYQUeU.jpg
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

£80-100 each. But more if you still have the original boxes somewhere.

A lot were made.
    All in the condition but near mint should get over £100. Box, extras, and paper add to the value to collectors. Without them they are just another shooter. but nice ones. £160 is where they would hit a price wall. £120 for excellent isn't robbing anyone.
    (Can't load the pictures.)

I'd go along with geezers valuation as whilst the Hurricane (et al) attempted to be a Webley with a "sophisticated sighting system", in my opinion they "ran away" from the ethos of being a compact pocket pistol due to their extended length which was necessary so that they could incorporate a rear sight offering more set-ability and adjustment than the pistol and most users could reasonably make use of.

Just my opinion I'm afraid, as whilst the Tempest had a crude rear sight by the standards set by the Hurricane, what more does the average Webley pistol plinker need ?

Again, JMHO, why didn't Webley come up with a Tempest based frame with two sight options available by use of an adapter block, Tempest without, Hurricane with.

Vic Thompson.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Thank you for your advice guys now sold
    Cheers
    Pete.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

An interesting thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    I'd go along with geezers valuation as whilst the Hurricane (et al) attempted to be a Webley with a "sophisticated sighting system", in my opinion they "ran away" from the ethos of being a compact pocket pistol due to their extended length which was necessary so that they could incorporate a rear sight offering more set-ability and adjustment than the pistol and most users could reasonably make use of.

Just my opinion I'm afraid, as whilst the Tempest had a crude rear sight by the standards set by the Hurricane, what more does the average Webley pistol plinker need ?

Again, JMHO, why didn't Webley come up with a Tempest based frame with two sight options available by use of an adapter block, Tempest without, Hurricane with.

Vic Thompson.
    You probably know far more about this than me. My understanding, from the G Bruce book, is that the Tempest idea came from a Webley designer acting on his initiative taking off the sight overhang used on the Hurricane to house the Hawk type micro sight. This was replaced with a Premier type, making the pistol more compact/less unwieldy. It required only altering existing Hurri frames.

As a decidedly below average Webley plinker, I appreciate the sights on my Hurricane .22's & .177 - but my Tempest groups aint that bad, in comparison.

I guess that at the time - even if they'd thought of it - Webley could not have been able to justify the expenditure involved in the re tooling for producing a new Tempest frame & fitting an adaptor block for a Hurricane variant.

Just my thoughts

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    You probably know far more about this than me. My understanding, from the G Bruce book, is that the Tempest idea came from a Webley designer acting on his initiative taking off the sight overhang used on the Hurricane to house the Hawk type micro sight. This was replaced with a Premier type, making the pistol more compact/less unwieldy. It required only altering existing Hurri frames.

As a decidedly below average Webley plinker, I appreciate the sights on my Hurricane .22's & .177 - but my Tempest groups aint that bad, in comparison.

I guess that at the time - even if they'd thought of it - Webley could not have been able to justify the expenditure involved in the re tooling for producing a new Tempest frame & fitting an adaptor block for a Hurricane variant.

Just my thoughts

Bru
    I believe that’s all correct.

The telescope sight mount was stupid. I had one on my Typhoon for a while back in the 80s with a Webley-branded 1.5x20, but it was rubbish. Oddly, as a collector, I of course have one for my Hurricane that I don’t use, because it’s rubbish but nice to have.

Big fan of the Hurricane.
    Beat a few PCP’s with my Beeman target gripped one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByK-LE4B...=16yza0biiwxe7

Got to be one of my favourite spring pistols as far as achievable accuracy us concerned.
    One of the few recoiling pistols with proper adjustable rear sights, just a little ggggr trigger tune and your away.

Matt