Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 pellets

.22 pellets

Hi, Could I have some opinions on decent .22 pellets please. I'm talking about quality of manufacturing here, I'm aware I have to test individual pellets in my barrel.
    I used to get on well with the old Crosman premier (cardboard box ones) in my Theoben. I bought a tin of Falcon accuracy plus last week. A lot of the skirts are damaged. I could have just had a bad tin I suppose but I'm looking for consistency in manufacturing really. Thanks Dave

Pellets that worked in my Rapid:

H&N FTT
    Initial tests with Sovereigns seem to work well but need to try at a range of 20+ yards yet.
    Powerpells - (NOT Accupells they were like a shot gun pattern)

Apart from them in .22 I can't say I have experience of much else.
    "Every silver lining has a cloud!"

HW77K, Rapid 7 MKI . HW97Colt GC, S&W 686 (CO2) HW75 . HW100K FSB

pellets

Thanks Rod

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Try, Air Arms or JSB's.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Well you've already mentioned the boxed Crossman Premiers which I have so I would assume the .22 JSBs ought to be as good as the .177 version.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    Hi, Could I have some opinions on decent .22 pellets please. I'm talking about quality of manufacturing here, I'm aware I have to test individual pellets in my barrel.
    I used to get on well with the old Crosman premier (cardboard box ones) in my Theoben. I bought a tin of Falcon accuracy plus last week. A lot of the skirts are damaged. I could have just had a bad tin I suppose but I'm looking for consistency in manufacturing really. Thanks Dave
    If you don't need distance then I would say bisley magnums, I've never once had a bad one in either calibre.
    Last edited by madcarlos; 27-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.

AADF 5.52 16gn
    AA Diablo Hunter 5.50 16gn ( slightly pointed pellet )
    And funnily enough as above Bisley Mags ( bit heavy 21gn but ok for fairly close range i.e. Up into trees
    JSB RS 5.52 13.43gn light and fast ( but only if your rifle likes them, unfortunately mine didn't, but yours might )
    And I keep hearing good reports on the JSB Hades, think there about 16gn
    Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    Falcon Accuracy are made by JSB, they were excellent in my old AAS510, problem is they're soft lead & the skirts are thin so they do damage very easily.
    an old click top pen or similar can be used to reshape the skirts, or use a slightly heavier JSB made pellet with a thicker skirt.

Pellets

Thanks all. I'll give a few of your suggestions a try.
    Regards
    Dave

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    What rifle are testing for? I've been tearing my hair out rebuilding a Diana 52 in 22, and pellet testing. FAP's are a problem as they are too light and sail over limit whilst providing little accuracy. The rifle is stripped down while I am thinking... (and the action is away locally for reblacking) Yet JSB Jumbo work really well as do Crosman premier.

Concurrently I've rebuilt a 48 (now a 52 after a stock change) in 177. Had lots of problems with that but now got it cracked- at last!

All good fun as long as you don't weaken! I could strip a 48 or 52 with my eyes closed in a dark room now
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I’ve just done a .22 pellet test, with JSB exact - Jumbo, Jumbo RS and Jumbo Heavy; H+N - FTT and Baracuda Match; RWS Super Field; Bisley Magnum; AA Field.

In the specific gun/barrel I used... the least muzzle velocity spread was Bisley with 4fps, followed by AA (6fps) and RWS (7fps), the biggest spread was JSB Exact Jumbo (16fps). Best grouping at 26yds was RWS, closely followed by Bisley, worst was H+N Braracuda Match.

While only a limited number of pellets were included in the test, they are a representation of the better known manufacturers.

I’d be happy to shoot the RWS or the Bisley out to 26yds (maybe further, but I’d have to test groupings at the longer distances). The only thing is, as the Bisley is heavier the ballistic curve is more loopy, making range estimation more critical for holdover/under.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I’ve just done a .22 pellet test, with JSB exact - Jumbo, Jumbo RS and Jumbo Heavy; H+N - FTT and Baracuda Match; RWS Super Field; Bisley Magnum; AA Field.

In the specific gun/barrel I used... the least muzzle velocity spread was Bisley with 4fps, followed by AA (6fps) and RWS (7fps), the biggest spread was JSB Exact Jumbo (16fps). Best grouping at 26yds was RWS, closely followed by Bisley, worst was H+N Braracuda Match.

While only a limited number of pellets were included in the test, they are a representation of the better known manufacturers.

I’d be happy to shoot the RWS or the Bisley out to 26yds (maybe further, but I’d have to test groupings at the longer distances). The only thing is, as the Bisley is heavier the ballistic curve is more loopy, making range estimation more critical for holdover/under.
    I mostly shoot bisley magnums in my 177 air ranger , Upto about 45 yards is fine but after this distance it gets a lot harder judging, Unless for the rats or close range I wouldn't use in 22 cal.

i mostly use air arms in my guns

I use Accupels in both .22 and .177

They suit me and never had any damaged in the tin.

The worst I’ve encountered for damages (bent skirts) are AA Field in .177

Best accuracy in my .22 '52 was with JSB RS. They have a slightly different skirt design to standard JSBs with a steeper angle.

Make sure the breech on your '52 is not square going into the bore. It needs a slight taper for the pellet skirt to sit in.