Thread: Leapers scope battery - 2032?

Leapers scope battery - 2032?

Due to time off work, been giving my small collection some exercise. Today was the turn of the Webley Junior rifle & a 50's Diana 25(again - am really getting to like it).

By way of contrast, got out the .177 HW35 I bought new a few years back. Had some issues with it, resolved, but it got put away as I preferred an earlier one in .22 or a BSA Meteor/Airsporter for pigeon blatting.

Before it was stored, it was fitted with a Leapers 3x9-40 scope with illuminated crosshairs. Went up to 11, like Spinal Tap amps. On recommision, only 9/10/11 positions produced any illumination, red x hairs.

Out with the multimeter, 2.8v - the CR2032 button battery fitted is meant to be about 3v. Find a couple of spare CR2032's, test them with the meter - 3.2v.

Happy Days! So I thought...tried them both, no light at all. Back to the old one, fine. On 9/10/11 only.

Any ideas?

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 28-10-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

[QUOTE=laverdabru;7943734]Due to time off work, been giving my small collection some exercise. Today was the turn of the Webley Junior rifle & a 50's Diana 25(again - am really getting to like it).

By way of contrast, got out the .177 HW35 I bought new a few years back. Had some issues with it, resolved, but it got put away as I preferred an earlier one in .22 or a BSA Meteor/Airsporter for pigeon blatting.

Before it was stored, it was fitted with a Leapers 3x9-40 scope with illuminated crosshairs. Went up to 11, like Spinal Tap amps. On recommision, only 9/10/11 positions produced any illumination, green x hairs.

Out with the multimeter, 2.8v - the CR2032 button battery fitted is meant to be about 3v. Find a couple of spare CR2032's, test them with the meter - 3.2v.

Happy Days! So I thought...tried them both, no light at all. Back to the old one, fine. On 9/10/11 only.

Any ideas?

Try these as they are the same type that my Hawke scope uses. https://www..com/itm/Energizer-Batte...72.m2749.l2649

2032 problem

What a coincidence, my car key fob packed up and I had a similar problem. Old battery dead, new one 3.2V, but didn't work. Head scratching time. Try another battery, fine. Back to the fist new one, I suspect some sort of wax or packing grease, and clean the contact edge on my jeans, try it and it works. Also carefully bent contacts to improve conductivity. David

Thanks for the thoughts - I'll give the 'new' batteries a wipe with contact cleaner. if that doesn't work will invest in some 'quality' 2032's, think the ones I found are cheapo ones I bought in Poundland or similar.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts - I'll give the 'new' batteries a wipe with contact cleaner. if that doesn't work will invest in some 'quality' 2032's, think the ones I found are cheapo ones I bought in Poundland or similar.

Can you remove the circuit board from the battery housing ? there may be crud in the contacts .

That is the bottom that makes contact in the scope .

1 min into this video shows how to remove one and shows how to clean the circuit board. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdi5V-_s6Q
    Last edited by bighit; 28-10-2020 at 05:11 PM.

What a great vid. I am almost hoping one of my illuminated scopes stops working so that I can try it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    What a great vid. I am almost hoping one of my illuminated scopes stops working so that I can try it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    First time I saw it done was on a night vision website where the owner was changing the resistors to make it less bright to use with a night vision add on .

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    First time I saw it done was on a night vision website where the owner was changing the resistors to make it less bright to use with a night vision add on .
    even for normal non NV usage, I find most scopes' IR settings way OTT.. the faintest light is all you need to pick out the crosshair.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    even for normal non NV usage, I find most scopes' IR settings way OTT.. the faintest light is all you need to pick out the crosshair.
    My hawke Digi eye starts really low .

I hardly ever use the illuminated Ret anyway . I often forget to turn it off

Never used the one on my MTC VIPER.

If you are ok with a soldering iron you could change the resisters.

Link to the thread .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rim...t=326795&amp=1
    Last edited by bighit; 31-10-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Also worthy of note .

My tasco clone 2-7x32 has this board fitted and has less resistors than in the thread above . This scope does red and green illustration Ret.

[IMG][/IMG]

So other boards may be different.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    even easier than changing the resistors, you can insert a suitably resistive pad between the bottom contact and the battery. I made something for one years ago, that dulled it down quite nicely. Wish I could remember what I used... I think it was just corroded / oxidised.. you don't need much resistance
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

New 'quality' 2032

Put in a Duracell 2032 (also made in China, I note), gave it a good clean before installing.
    Normal service resumed!
    Can't say I use the lit reticule often, but nice to have it working again.

ATB

Bru