Thread: Webley Air Pistol Engraving.

Webley Air Pistol Engraving.

I have this Webley Junior with some minor engraving to the side of the breech block. Gordon Bruce's excellent book describes this as sometimes being carried out by apprentices to cover unsightly casting imperfections thus making the product suitable for sale rather than scrap.

I just wondered if there were any similarly engraved pistols in other members collections. I can handle this level of adornment, but full engraving just isn't my thing.

Brian

junior

yep I got 2 engraved juniors the same as yours to cover up marks on the steel .and sold john one with a flower engraved on it

I have several examples Brian - all of which are not featured in Gordon Bruce's book or John Atkins' excellent article of these models several years ago.

I have written a draft article on them and will share these additional models with Airgun World readers in the future. Must admit I do appreciate the beauty of Don Blocksidge engraving. I understand not everybody does but I am a self confessed fan. There is a Webley connection in that Don used to engrave some of the Juniors you mention when he was an apprentice at Webley - he even recognised some of his work when I contacted him as part of my research into these Juniors. The pistol I bought from Splosh is one I intend featuring as it is a real beauty.

Kind regards,

John

I've seen several examples of Don's work, but never had an engraved Junior. The only one I've ever purchased as part of a collection is the Senior shown below.
    The grips were a later acquisition fitted to another Senior.
    This Senior is a very early example of Don's work as it is engraved through the blue which entails a lot more care that engraving in the white and re-bluing which is what most of Don's later work entailed.

I now have this Senior in a fitted case with spare barrel and linkage, and think it may well be the last item I part with, as a .22 Senior was the first Air Pistol I bought with my own money.

Last edited by Troubledshooter; 28-10-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional info.