Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it collecting or hording?

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Is it collecting or hoarding?

Some collectors seem to have a particularly favourite airgun model and go to great lengths (and expense) to acquire as many examples of what is essentially the same gun. I was wondering if this is true collecting, or is just another form of hoarding? While not wanting to be critical of this type of collecting in any way, one wonders what the motivation behind it might be. What do others think?
    Last edited by ccdjg; 28-10-2020 at 06:51 PM.

I've often pondered this myself John.

My father was a hoarder - he kept newspapers without throwing them out for example. He also stored up on household items like light bulbs in bulk then couldn't find them when he needed them and had to buy more. If you ask my sister and Josie, they'll both say it's hoarding as Josie's father was no different. My sister still lives at home and has literally spent the last 4 years since we lost father sorting through his hoarded belongings. She recently found his stash of light bulbs and he even had some at 150W and 200W which are way too powerful for domestic use!

I'm at the stage where I can't always find what I'm looking for in terms of guns or reference material as it could be in any number of places and invariably not where I look. I will let go of guns though if they are duplicates or my interest switches focus, so there may be some hope but I admit that I do have the hoarding gene.

One example is never enough - owning variations helps me to understand the development of a particular model. Then there's the challenge and focus of assembling a set of Stoeger marked Webley air pistols for example. Until you have all of them, that sub collection is not complete and I love focusing and searching for that elusive model. It keeps the mind active and passion alive.

Interesting topic.

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 28-10-2020 at 04:55 PM.

There are definitely Horders out there
    Sooner or later they have to thin out, normally getting bored or for financial reasons'

Rumour has it there is a rather unsavoury chap in the Cambridge area with around 100 BSA
    Military Pattern air rifles

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Some collectors seem to have a particularly favourite airgun model and go to great lengths (and expense) to acquire as many examples of what is essentially the same gun. I was wondering if this is true collecting, or is just another form of hording? While not wanting to be critical of this type of collecting in any way, one wonders what the motivation behind it might be. What do others think?

Each to their own,no logic can necessarily be applied to what or why people collect what they do.For example I'd happily see every Gat type pistol placed in 44 gallon drums set in concrete and sent to the bottom of the deepest ocean,but that would be selfish as some collectors love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Some collectors seem to have a particularly favourite airgun model and go to great lengths (and expense) to acquire as many examples of what is essentially the same gun. I was wondering if this is true collecting, or is just another form of hording? While not wanting to be critical of this type of collecting in any way, one wonders what the motivation behind it might be. What do others think?
    Don't really think it can be described as 'hoarding' to collect different models of the same gun. Just an interest in that particular gun.
    Looking at my very modest collection, I would like to have each in .177 & .22 versions, as they often behave differently.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Theres quite far between British springers here in Norway, so I buy them whenever they turn up at a fair price.
    I cant be too critical about models and condition, and theres always room for another parts gun, isnt there?

So, for some strange reason, theres about 14 or so meteors of various vintage in the house at the moment, its been a while since i counted them

HOARDING???? I MIGHT sell some at some time. Just not right now, perhaps in the future. Perhaps

Actually, when you have enough of each mk of the same gun, you start to notice small differences withing the same mk.
    Like stock varnish colors and barrel block shape.

Hoarding you say???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Theres quite far between British springers here in Norway, so I buy them whenever they turn up at a fair price.
    I cant be too critical about models and condition, and theres always room for another parts gun, isnt there?

So, for some strange reason, theres about 14 or so meteors of various vintage in the house at the moment, its been a while since i counted them

HOARDING???? I MIGHT sell some at some time. Just not right now, perhaps in the future. Perhaps

Actually, when you have enough of each mk of the same gun, you start to notice small differences withing the same mk.
    Like stock varnish colors and barrel block shape.

Hoarding you say???!!!

How many Gat pistols do you have?

When I started collecting I had limited funds available so decided to concentrate on Webley's, they being British manufacturers, but have deviated to a few other makers along the way, although not to any great extent.
    My intention was to build a collection that would satisfy my interest and also appreciate in value as an additional pension fund, hence the purchase of multiple examples from various sources, such as Freeads in the eighties, and some from the adverts in the airgun magazines, and later on as funds became more plentiful I bought several collections from now defunct down gun shops and other private collectors, as well as some from this site. I also had contacts in some local gun shops, all of which have now gone, who would let me know if anything interesting came in, and I purchased a few worthwhile items over the years.
    I haven't bought much for the past twenty years, so most prices were a lot lower than they are now, which meant my 'pension Fund' idea has borne fruit.
    I'm currently disposing of my collection earlier than intended due to ill health, as I would like to sell most of it while I am still able to occasionally get items down from my loft, which is not every day, and still able to carry items to the Post Office once a week.
    I suppose one could say I've 'Hoarded' a lot of guns but that was intentionally done for reasons already outlined.
    Until Peter started Kempton Arms fairs I had never attended any fairs, and have only attended two of them, and had never ever attended a boot sale or bought from an auction.
    On occasion I've gone to a lot of effort and travelled fair distances to obtain Webley items I've been keen on, but that's part of the collecting bug, and I've enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    There are definitely Horders out there
    Sooner or later they have to thin out, normally getting bored or for financial reasons'

Rumour has it there is a rather unsavoury chap in the Cambridge area with around 100 BSA
    Military Pattern air rifles
    Think that might be Chinese whispers at work Peter. He told me himself it was around 20 Milpats, eight or nine years ago.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Think that might be Chinese whispers at work Peter. He told me himself it was around 20 Milpats, eight or nine years ago.
    I have never had the pleasure of speaking to this chap and hopefully never will. Collectors beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    When I started collecting I had limited funds available so decided to concentrate on Webley's, they being British manufacturers, but have deviated to a few other makers along the way, although not to any great extent.
    My intention was to build a collection that would satisfy my interest and also appreciate in value as an additional pension fund, hence the purchase of multiple examples from various sources, such as Freeads in the eighties, and some from the adverts in the airgun magazines, and later on as funds became more plentiful I bought several collections from now defunct down gun shops and other private collectors, as well as some from this site. I also had contacts in some local gun shops, all of which have now gone, who would let me know if anything interesting came in, and I purchased a few worthwhile items over the years.
    I haven't bought much for the past twenty years, so most prices were a lot lower than they are now, which meant my 'pension Fund' idea has borne fruit.
    I'm currently disposing of my collection earlier than intended due to ill health, as I would like to sell most of it while I am still able to occasionally get items down from my loft, which is not every day, and still able to carry items to the Post Office once a week.
    I suppose one could say I've 'Hoarded' a lot of guns but that was intentionally done for reasons already outlined.
    Until Peter started Kempton Arms fairs I had never attended any fairs, and have only attended two of them, and had never ever attended a boot sale or bought from an auction.
    On occasion I've gone to a lot of effort and travelled fair distances to obtain Webley items I've been keen on, but that's part of the collecting bug, and I've enjoyed it.
    Thanks to you and your efforts, a lot of us on here have some exceptional Webleys and related items.

I have never had the pleasure of speaking to this chap and hopefully never will. Collectors beware!

I bought several air rifles from him many years ago he is definitely quirky,but face to face there is no problem dealing with him,and he does/did have a remarkable number of very desirable vintage air guns.

Yes, he's an odd one. I've had a good deal with him, no problems at all, and Mark says he's OK f-to-f. But he turned on a friend of mine for some imagined slight and never spoke to him again. I've heard numerous negative things about him since. Clearly has personality 'issues'...

So, as you say, collectors beware, especially when dealing with a 'Keith' or 'Peter' from Newmarket.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I bought several air rifles from him many years ago he is definitely quirky,but face to face there is no problem dealing with him,and he does/did have a remarkable number of very desirable vintage air guns.

I am pleased that you had 'no problem' with this chap. I have heard many stories from trusted friends, past and present and have been warned to avoid him at all costs.
    We are part of a small group of mainly decent people in this game, where trust is paramount.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Each to their own,no logic can necessarily be applied to what or why people collect what they do.For example I'd happily see every Gat type pistol placed in 44 gallon drums set in concrete and sent to the bottom of the deepest ocean,but that would be selfish as some collectors love 'em!
    Are you telling me this WASN'T done? Didn't the Government promise to do this under the Pointless Pop-out Control Bill? What the hell kind of world are we living in?