Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it collecting or hording?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    There is certain type of hoarder, extremely rare fortunately, whose motivation is seemingly a desire to remove as much of a rarity from circulation as possible so that it gives them a sense of empowerment. They have no real collector's interest in their booty, and it is largely kept secretly and never sees the light of day. I know of Webley Mark 1 rifle, air-cane and BSA Military pattern hoards, going back as far as 40 years. Sadly, I unknowingly contributed one of my own Mark 1's many years ago.
    Yes there are all sorts of people in the airgun world, and I have met a lot of them over the years

My own collecting has changed as time went by, when I started I think I was more interested in the English gun trade and the different companies that produced airguns and researched them as well as finding their products ending up with 50+ guns, most of which I seldom shot
    Today I have around a dozen rifles and pistols and shoot them all, getting as much pleasure from a Bsa Cadet Major as a much rarer gun, take your point about secrecy and empowerment the best way to gain knowledge is by sharing, and we are lucking to have enough collectors who are happy to do this

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I think l might be both but to me hoarding is keeping things that are quite useless and have no value, like you see on the TV programs. and like a member above said, l bought my collection over the years to enjoy. and when i retired hoped they had gone up in value to sell some off to pay bills, or maybe buy another gun.

Interesting topic! I always remain critical toward my personal collecting behaviour, does it not exceed the limits of sanity (~50+ airguns)? The web gives interesting indications of the pathology involved. Actually Hoarding & The collecting disorder are considered separate disorders. There is always a chance we as airgun collectors develop a Collecting disorder. But the symptoms are quite severe and easy to recognise, with an unusable living space as an example (see below, source: www.hulpgids.nl, translation). I think however there might be a spectrum of combinations possible.

'...Hoarding means persistent difficulties with disposing of belongings. Hoarding is a new diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5).
    • Hoarding must be distinguished from ordinary collecting: hoarding causes stress, problems and conflicts and can lead to dangers for third parties (eg health, fire).
    • In contrast, for collectors there is fun and structure and collecting is often a social activity.
    • In the case of the collecting disorder, there is a pathological difficulty in disposing of belongings or to be able to say goodbye to them, to such an extent that living spaces can no longer or hardly be used. Due to the frequent overlap with certain impulse regulation disorders, the generally limited treatability and the poor prognosis, it has been agreed to consider the collection disorder as a separate disorder...'
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Interesting topic! I always remain critical toward my personal collecting behaviour, does it not exceed the limits of sanity (~50+ airguns)? The web gives interesting indications of the pathology involved. Actually Hoarding & The collecting disorder are considered separate disorders. There is always a chance we as airgun collectors develop a Collecting disorder. But the symptoms are quite severe and easy to recognise, with an unusable living space as an example (see below, source: www.hulpgids.nl, translation). I think however there might be a spectrum of combinations possible.

'...Hoarding means persistent difficulties with disposing of belongings. Hoarding is a new diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5).
    • Hoarding must be distinguished from ordinary collecting: hoarding causes stress, problems and conflicts and can lead to dangers for third parties (eg health, fire).
    • In contrast, for collectors there is fun and structure and collecting is often a social activity.
    • In the case of the collecting disorder, there is a pathological difficulty in disposing of belongings or to be able to say goodbye to them, to such an extent that living spaces can no longer or hardly be used. Due to the frequent overlap with certain impulse regulation disorders, the generally limited treatability and the poor prognosis, it has been agreed to consider the collection disorder as a separate disorder...'
    Fair enough but what if you're OK with disposing of the odd item but the rest invade on your family living space?

Or when you trip over collectable items and reference material

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Fair enough but what if you're OK with disposing of the odd item but the rest invade on your family living space?

Or when you trip over collectable items and reference material

John
    Move to a bigger house.

My problem is finding the willpower to move items on when a better example comes to hand. For some reason I just can't bring myself to part with the redundant models having formed an irrational bond with them. I guess this could be interpreted as hoarding, although I don't clutter up the house with anything other than old air guns.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Move to a bigger house.
    Might fix the problem for a while but it would soon get clogged up again. I could do with having a good clearout .....but not just yet!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Might fix the problem for a while but it would soon get clogged up again. I could do with having a good clearout .....but not just yet!

John

Willpower dear boy, Willpower. "Get thee behind me oh collecting bug."

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Willpower dear boy, Willpower. "Get thee behind me oh collecting bug."
    I believe they are working on a vaccine

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I believe they are working on a vaccine
    Yes they give you a (shot) in the arm.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    There are quite a few that I am aware of in various states of familiarity that I wouldn't class as hoarders - but do have quite marked compulsion issues.
    But I guess if they can afford it without detriment to those around them, it's just self-medicating .

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    How many Gat pistols do you have?
    None! I only collect stuff you can actually hit a target with

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post

A wise point of view!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    So you're not very good at throwing gats?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I do like those German pop outs, not so much the ornate ones right enough but the plain ones at the bottom just look fantastic