Thread: Crosman Salesman Sample Case - late 1950’s

Crosman Salesman Sample Case - late 1950’s

Salesman sample cases are a part of Americana and I was thrilled to win this Crosman case on . The case is a point in time in Crosman history and in filling it, it’s story was revealed. In the last several years I have purchased 3 early Crosman CO2 rifles: a 160, a 180 and a 400. I put my 1955 160 into the case and it fit perfectly. Next was the 400 right underneath. Then the pistol had to be a 150 which I had bought months earlier. The fit of all guns was exceptional no wiggle room whatever. The first side was finished confirming the case was authentic.

The second side seemed a bit of a mystery but in measuring the upper space it seemed to be right for a 180 which I had just sold. Lol. Luckily I bought it back and it did fit perfectly. The pistol was labeled a 130 and that was a easy pickup. After a few missteps the lower rifle had to be the contemporary 140 pumper. That I had to buy as well, and it ended up being more than a month long project given the USPS took 3 weeks to deliver it. But when it arrive the case was finished!

Now the case can tell it’s story. The 400 was first made in 1957-62. Thus the earliest date the case could have been made was 1957. The 160 would determine the last date possible. The 160 was the first rifle to receive the updated Monte Carlo stock which would not have fit in the case. That change occurred in 1960, so the case was probably made between 1957-1959? That a pretty small window of time and may help explain why the case is so pristine. After it was made it was quickly obsolete. That and the fact that fully loaded it weights a ton! Is a salesman going to wrestle with this all day?

The case does capture probably the pinnacle of Crosman’s Golden Era the introduction of their CO2 classics. I have only seen three Crosman Salesman cases each one was different. One was sold at the same time as mine and was a single sided case and it did look well used. The Crosman Company has the other one.

Here are pics of the case and collection:

https://imgur.com/a/aOA0qHR

In the US it’s National Cat Day!
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-10-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Nice find. And nice cat.

That is a very interesting find. A real piece of history. Thanks for sharing.
    Morally flawed

That’s brilliant,
    Looks like you had a good time filling it up.

Nicely done,
    Matt

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    That's very nice indeed. My first real airpistol was a Crosman 1300, a bit later I know but a fantastic pistol. I bought a Sussex Armoury stock and scope to go with it. A great find you have there.

Cat

Looks like I’m the only person who liked the cat too. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Looks like I’m the only person who liked the cat too. Oh well...
    It looks too disturbingly like Clive Dunn trapped in a cats body and begging for release for me.
    Morally flawed

A very nice find, I really like that.

An interesting item from that post war golden age. Well done on preserving then filling it with the correct pieces.

Greeeeeen!

I'm green with envy!

That looks brilliant and what a great collection of old crosmans! Thanks for sharing.